Question Is this adapter/converter all I need to hook up an old TV to a newer sound bar ?

Metallica93

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
Equipment:
  • older TV [3 x H.D.M.I. ports, no H.D.M.I. A.R.C. port, and no optical port]
  • Fire Stick (occupying H.D.M.I. 1)
  • Blu-ray player (occupying H.D.M.I. 2)
  • Sony sound bar [1 x H.D.M.I. A.R.C. port, 1 optical port, and 1 3.5 mm port]
If I want to keep the 3.5 mm port open for my iPod (just playing music from bed), I assume this H.D.M.I. extractor/switch is my only real option?

Otherwise, I think I'd need a standalone extractor with only one input and then a standalone switch, which just adds another link in the chain to cause issues.

Just looking for some confirmation/opinions before I pull the trigger. Haven't had a TV in years and certainly nothing with adapter/sound bar shenanigans.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Metallica93

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
We know that it's a soundbar with a Sony badge on it but can you specify the model of said soundbar? Also, please include the make and model of your television.

Seemed irrelevant given the information I provided, but it's an Element ELDFW464 with a Sony HT-CT390.

In what is perhaps the strangest edit I have ever seen, I also had to re-edit the incorrect changes made to remove full stops from initialisms in my original post. Just came here for a quick tech question, not to have grammar rules questioned, lol.

Thanks and hope you had a solid New Year's!

Last edited: