Is this because I am Single Channelling ram?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pottsy0

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016
I have run benchmarks on most the games I play but I feel like on BF1 I am defo not getting GTX 1080 ti preformance. I have done many test with my friend who works in IT support and the GPU is fine. I am only getting between 70-84 FPS. Settings on ultra DX11.

Full PC Build.
Gigabyte gaming 7 z170
i7 6700k 4.4ghz
x1 stick of ddr4 2400 ram
SSD 120GB
1TB
GTX 1080 ti

Update!
Single channel RAM was indeed the problem. Using dual channel in BF1 showed a huge increase more than double performance. Was averaging 60-80 now with dual channel 130-144

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Online tweaks? PhysX on gpu or cpu? Global settings in NCP all the same? Is the video running anti virus or other background tasks? Do you have Xbox DVR and stupid game bar shutdown? There's a hundred things different in video dudes pc than yours than that's all settings and tweaks and software that he has not told you anything about. That's a major flaw with YouTube, it only shows what's possible, it doesn't show what's probable. Just making pre-rendered frames 1 instead of 3 in NCP can make a huge difference, or setting graphics for performance instead of quality since he's using a 1440p monitor. His pc, game, settings, hardware is all tweaked specifically for that game, yours is not.

Pottsy0

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016

I am going to do some of this now but I am upgrading to dual channel tomorrow to make sure it isnt that holding me back.

4745454b

Titan
Not sure that's more "detailed stats"...

What sticks out is the 86% load on the CPU, while the GPU is only 50%. Do you have other stuff running at the same time?

You might see a boost by moving to dual channel. But from what I know it's more like 5-10% max, not double frame rates.

Pottsy0

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016

Dual channel RAM comes end of this week. I will re post in here to what the difference is and if the issue is resolved

Pottsy0

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016
Right so the issues was dual channel RAM. With my single channel I was averaging 60-80 FPS dropping below the 50s. I am now averaging 130-144 lowest ive seen it go is 115.

Pottsy0

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016

Its the same amount of RAM I had a single 16GB stick and now I have x2 8s working in dual channel and its just better

Pottsy0

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016

I mean I dont know how else I could explain it too you I took single channel out replaced with dual channel and my FPS increased in BF1. I knew that 80% it would of worked looking at videos and my own research.

The websites you linked not one of them was Battlefield related so its irrelevant to how BF1 runs. its also utilised my GPU more.

Also its fine you dont have to believe me I am happy now Im actually getting the performance I should be.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well DDR4 2400 1x16 usually runs C16/17. 2x8 usually runs C14/15 so the tighter timings will also help out, some. Every little % helps, so all told just changing to dual channel is going to show as much as @20% performance increase. That's also assuming the 1x16 was also running xmp not stock 2133.

This has a whole site full of Moderators scratching our heads. None of us are saying it's not happening (we do believe you!), we just aren't sure why, since no tests seem to indicate this level of improvement. Some, yes, but not 50%. At least one of us is tempted to spend his own money to buy the game for more rigorous testing. Is it possible the original slot was bad, or the original RAM stick? We just don't know.

Pottsy0

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016

I misread the last mods message my bad. But it could be but the dual channel has boosted performance in most games. Both games BF1 and BF4 has been more improved by 40 FPS in most cases. Games like Witcher 3 its pushed it extra 10 to 20FPS. I was told mixed about if it would work but videos proved by BF1 that it was 40fps boost or more.

4745454b

Titan
Again, I'm trying to understand the how/why. Looking at the links, from three different sites using different programs and versions, NONE of them show 50%+ gains. I know you keep saying they didn't test BF1, but I would think if 50%+ gains were possible by moving from SC to DC that some of those programs would do it. But NONE do. Look at the Gamernexus link I provided. The biggest gains were in the synthetic memory benchmark. And even there it only increased by 30%. Winwar only increased ~3%. Handbrake increased by ~4%. Showgun was sub 1%. Adobe Premier was ~3%. Adobe After Effects was nearly 6%. Again, how does BF1 get 50%+? What is so magical about BF1 that it somehow does what no other program does. Even synthetic benchmarks which should show the best gains?

I'm glad you are seeing better performance. But without a logical reason as to how this is possible I just can't believe it.