Nov 29, 2019
So my current pc unit is :
  • CPU : Intel i5 7400 3.0 Ghz
  • RAM : 16 GB
  • Graphics card GTX 1060
  • PSU : Corsair V650 (650 watts)
  • Motherboard : Gigabyte h270m-d3h
  • Fans : 3 external fans
  • Hard Drives : HDD 1 TB (Games) and SSD 120 GB (System files)
A friend of mine told me that my pc is a bottle neck.......
(I like to play PUBG, CS:GO, Dota 2, and open FaceBook while playing)
  1. Is my pc a bottleneck? If so, which parts are not utilized at its maximum capacity?
  2. Which parts can I upgrade to fix this problem? Is it really necessary?
  3. I am planning to upgrade to RTX 2060 .... which components should I upgrade as well?
  4. Lastly, does bottlenecking damage your system unit? (overheating, memory problems, etc.)

Last edited:
Solution
  1. Is my pc a bottleneck? If so, which parts are not utilized at its maximum capacity?
  3. I am planning to upgrade to RTX 2060 .... which components should I upgrade as well?
  4. Lastly, does bottlenecking damage your system unit? (overheating, memory problems, etc.)
  1. Not really, a CPU upgrade may help but it comes down to the game. All in all your system is well balanced.
  2. CPU, not really needed.
  3. PSU, VS series aren't really made for higher end GPU's and heavy loads such as gaming.
4.No harm whatsoever.

You can test to see if the system is bottlenecking but from experience your system should be fine even on more CPU heavy titles...
Nov 29, 2019
Nope. You're fine. CPU will probably limit performance of an RTX2060 @ 1080p gaming a tad.

H270 mobo is unfortunate since it prevents you from overclocking.
Thank you so much for replying. I am actually playing @ 1080p so I think it's fine. Do you think RTX 2060 is an overkill though if I only play those games + Tomb raider series + COD series + GTA V at high settings?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
As noted above, the change from i7-7700K to i5-7400 makes a huge difference. I think we all assumed the OP meant i7 instead of i5. The CPU bottleneck may be right on the margin with the i5-7400 depending on several factors. Resolution you game at, settings, number of players in multiplayer games, etc. In single player games, you probably won't see enough bottleneck to worry about at something like 1080p/60hz.

Reactions: johncalvinelid
Nov 29, 2019
As noted above, the change from i7-7700K to i5-7400 makes a huge difference. I think we all assumed the OP meant i7 instead of i5. The CPU bottleneck may be right on the margin with the i5-7400 depending on several factors. Resolution you game at, settings, number of players in multiplayer games, etc. In single player games, you probably won't see enough bottleneck to worry about at something like 1080p/60hz.
Noted. Thank you for replying!

WildCard999

Titan
  1. Not really, a CPU upgrade may help but it comes down to the game. All in all your system is well balanced.
  3. PSU, VS series aren't really made for higher end GPU's and heavy loads such as gaming.
4.No harm whatsoever.

You can test to see if the system is bottlenecking but from experience your system should be fine even on more CPU heavy titles.
https://davescomputertips.com/how-to-determine-gpu-vs-cpu-bottlenecks-and-possible-solutions/

If you do decide on a CPU upgrade then look at a newer Intel platform (9th/10th gen) and newer motherboard or AMD Ryzen as I doubt you'll be able to find a 7700(K) for a reasonable price.

Reactions: johncalvinelid
Solution
Nov 29, 2019
4.No harm whatsoever.

You can test to see if the system is bottlenecking but from experience your system should be fine even on more CPU heavy titles.
https://davescomputertips.com/how-to-determine-gpu-vs-cpu-bottlenecks-and-possible-solutions/

If you do decide on a CPU upgrade then look at a newer Intel platform (9th/10th gen) and newer motherboard or AMD Ryzen as I doubt you'll be able to find a 7700(K) for a reasonable price.
Oh wow, This is I think the best answer for this thread. Thank you so much!