Is this cheating and banable in CoD4?

godsizesnakeyes

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
Setting up a macro on a n52 so when the button is held it repeats weapon fire making semi autos full auto. I hear alot about mouse wheel and muiltiple fire buttons to get a very fast fire rate with semi autos and it sounds controversial. Curious as to where macros stand in FPS games.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Interesting point. I'd say it isn't cheating but clever. It would be cheating if you tweaked the actual game or game files. If the community really doesn't like the macros or similar tweaks then the publishers will include a fix for it in the next patch.

**Updated- Looks like many people don't like your macro. Be ready to see a fix in the next patch soon enough. If this point is being raised here at TH, then I'm sure the COD4 community is fully aware of it by now and from the looks of it, many are in disagreement with the use of macros as they consider it cheating or an unfair advantage.**

godsizesnakeyes

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007

That was my thoughts on it too but figured I would see what people think before I go ahead and use it online. I did try it out to see how it works and it makes the G3 rifle and M9 pistol very OP because of the insane rate of fire with very little recoil. From watchin some kill cams it seems as if lots of people are doing it already.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
I agree with Alex' point but be prepared to face a lot of verbal abuse online if you're the first to bring it to the battlefield. If you don't care about that, then I'd say go for it.

promac

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
I don't get why people go for this kind of stuff. Do you want to play the game and have fun or are you only interested in getting a higher killcount? The killcount means nothing to anyone else and if you know you're only getting it because of some macro then it means even less to you too. Maybe you just want to level up faster but then, what for? To get prestige mode and do it all over again?

ubermoose

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Using 3rd party programs to make the game do something it wasnt meant to do?

If those guns were supposed to be full auto don't you think they would have been made that way?

If you have to ask, its probably cheating.

Lavacon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Nah, It's not cheating. Lame, Yes. The game should have been made in such a way where that couldn't happen. Just know that everyone doing this is seriously lacking skills :)

ap90033

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Its well known and Punkbuster doesnt block it so no its not cheating, plus anyone can get a mouse with that ability and program a macro to do it so it doesnt create an unfair advantage.

ap90033

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
PS I suck and dont care if I am lame or lack skills :) I play an hour or so a night so I guess I'll never be L337! The people that get me are the ones with a 8+ to 1 KDR and who probably are hacking. Why dont we worry more about real hackers?

Isnt the G3 in single player full auto? I think it is and man it is cool...

JonnyRock

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2004
If you are even considering doing this, then you had/have no skill in the 1st place. :whistle:

It's not technically a cheat, only coz PB can't detect it, except that you are cheating/lying to your self. To some people this is not a problem.

To those people i say bring it on beeeaaachaz!!!!!!

In the end you are still making something do something it is not meant to do (ie you are cheating).

Now a game like COD4 is supposed to have weapons that behave in a certain way, just like they do in real life. By doing this it means that the weapon/s no longer behave/s the way they do in real life or in the game like they where intended.

You get my drift here, but I am sure there will be someone people who will pick this apart.

Let the fun begin!!!! :sol: :bounce: :pt1cable:

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
indeed... Not really cheating anymore than buying a high dpi mouse, or having a video card that will push a high resolution so you can clearly see enemies that are far away. I can click my mouse button quite fast... unless there is some glitch in the game that needs to be patched i don't think it's a real issue. If i'm understanding this correctly, you essentially just change the input into the game so it repeats quickly? Although I see how you can find this frustrating, (i used to pwn q3 rail wars till everyone started using bots) I don't think it's a full blown "cheat". I wired up an xbox port so i can jsut plug it into my usb connection port and put use a slot on the back of my case for any given controller... and there are controllers that are "programmable" so i could just program one button to hit any function so many times in a row, then reload.... so i dunno, iffy subject... I suppose if the game allows a rapid rate of fire... then it's not cheating, provided that it's not super unrealistic in that it unloads a full clip so the bullets are all coming out faster than the actual gun can do so. but that's my opinion and i have not yet played the game... and yes.. i understand the frustration. If you really are annoyed, just get good enough to own them without the alleged 'cheat', that'll piss em off. :p
so basically, just a complicated reiteration of some of the previous posts. haha.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

After playing battlefield 2 for 2 years, I can safely say verbal abuse is unavoidable whatever you do lol. Ive had abuse from the other team even when my team is having its ass handed to it and i jump into a tank in some last gasp desperate last stand type thing and get a few kills. I dont really know if rapid-single-fire is cheating really or not 'in the spirit' of the game, when people do things like camping and use joysticks for flying (sorry back to bf2) or super-duper mice, or instantly prone whenever confronted, or jumping and proning, or whatever. Try it out but remember your not good until you can do it manually lol.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
@ Macroing to make a gun shoot faster -- Just about every CS:S and COD4 server with decent admins has immediately kicked anyone they found doing so. Maybe it's just the people I game with... but figured I'd let you know what to expect.

Snipers should always have 8 to 1 KDR :)
8 to 1? I remember when I unlocked the achievement to not die in a round I was up to 51 Kills - 0 Deaths. I think it was on Crossfire. :D Do this a few times and you learn how to really snipe. Then you'll start getting those "UR A HACKER DUD! THERES NO WAI YOU COULD HAV SHOT ME THERE!!!!!!" Ah, good times.

asdasd123123

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Yeah it's cheating, and even if you may not be banned everywhere, it's not a rate at what your finger could ever click.
Ie cheating.

It's just bad taste mostly, play with an automatic if you want rapid fire.

uberman

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
I would say it's cheating. About 1/3 of my total deaths can probably be attributed to 1 or more guys with aimbots,wall hacks,etc.who are having a grand time being a pain in the posterior. My suggestion is rent a server and call it "hack server" or "cheat server" where all the douchebags can hack each other.Or you can give up on your plans for world domination and just play a good,clean game for the gipper.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Borderline cheating, very very lame.

I say play the game the way its meant to be played.

PS. Its so fun to kill hackers by out witting them cuz they suck so bad. Can always tell a skilless hacker cuz their movements are all **** and slow but their aim and health is insane.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
whats wrong with double clicking? i just delved into the multi player part of COD4 last night, and was surprised how good i actually was after 4 hours i have over 250 kills, and am lvl 22 without cheating....u kill most ppl with one click anyway so i dont see how using a macro would give you an edge unless your shooting them in the foot?

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
It is cheating, the semi auto's do higher damage/better accuracy at the cost of a slower fire rate. Auto's have a higher rate of fire at the cost of damage/accuracy. To enable a macro that allows you to rapidly fire a semi auto by holding down a button is cheating. Especially if you do it with a weapon that by default doesnt have an auto mode in reality i.e. M-16 A2/4. Anyway in real life, if the m-16a2 had an auto mode it would be quite useless any way, that crappy ass rifle jams enough on semi as it is, unlike cod4, burst in RL I found to be useless and uncontrollable as well. (I know I served 6 years in the army).

jcbryant

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
In baseball, you can throw a spitball. Its cheating but you can get away with it. In golf, you can use clubs that aren't to spec allowing you to hit it further or you can use an adjustable club giving you an illegal advantage. In NASCAR, the rules specify the setup for the car such that each is car in a race is almost identical and thus it should be the driver's skill that decides who wins the race. Again, there is nothing preventing you from actually using mods or cheats in outdoor sports or online during casual play. I think this mod for COD is cheating. The weapons we have available are designed to give balance to the game so that no one setup is so overpowering over the other. You have a sniper that can kill me with a single shot, yet a slow rate of fire. Well, I have an m60 that has a fire high rate of fire but I need 20 hits to kill you. Its balanced, and thus the players skill should ultimately decide who wins. Its not to say that there aren't some things we can do to gain an advantage. A high performance pc, or a high accuracy mouse I think are all legal in the same way that a player might choose his bat type, glove, or golf ball. Just ask yourself. In the real world, would I be able to make this sniper rifle fire on auto-mode? And isn't COD4 supposed to emulate real life?

byrddogg77

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
Its cheating! Stupid and Lame. Why play a game where you test your skills against other players, when you have a clear advantage. If I catch you on my server, Banned you are.

Even with your stupid ticks I will still put a bullet between your eyes.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Its cheating! Stupid and Lame. Why play a game where you test your skills against other players, when you have a clear advantage. If I catch you on my server, Banned you are.

Even with your stupid ticks I will still put a bullet between your eyes.
Once I started thinking about it in terms of skill vs skill, it became a lot more fun for me. Especially when you run into those that you are are cheating / using methods described above (still cheating) and you just kill them over and over again.

stock86c

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008

hmm no wonder i am not making any progress in COD4. i am using ATi x1650 + E2160, and i bet real gamers/pros are using systems similar to yours.

but i think i will just hang on to this system and have fun :hello: :wahoo: