Question Is this computer build going to work / run well

Jemerson127

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
so i bought a prebuilt lenovo computer about 4 years ago and i really wanna get it out of its ugly hunk of a case. I am planning on moving out for uni relatively soon and was looking for a MicroATX build or something similar. I was wondering if the following composition would work well. I have got a budget of probably around 700 AUD and was considering upgrading to ryzen and just keeping the 1060 that i had bought. Obviously this is probably annoying for you guys to see over and over again but any advice would be greatly appreciated! thankyou.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/P9bXD2

With the build in the link are the components marked as bought the components from your current PC? Because the one thing to check, if possible, is whether the current motherboard's standoffs are in the standard positions. If they are, then there seems no point in changing the motherboard.

Jemerson127

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
the things in the list that are marked as purchased are things from my current computer. other than the graphics card everything in the computer are lrenovo oem pieces. I was also looking to downsize the form factor of the pc, i think the motherboard i currently have is ATX.

That brings in more context so it makes a bit more sense now. I'm of the mind that if you're in a position to change/replace the motherboard then it's time to consider new core components (CPU, RAM and motherboard). Unless you really want to change to a newer platform for more money; the i7-6700 is still a pretty decent CPU and as long as it does what you want there isn't much reason to upgrade. As it is, it will work as you intend; I see no compatibility issues. One area I would consider double checking is how good the PSU is. (Not an area I'm familiar with.)

Another thing to be aware of is the Windows licence. Technically a prebuilt will have OEM Windows and is tied to the motherboard, thus you should need to purchase a new licence. However, some do suggest following the steps in the link which should let you carry that licence over to a new motherboard:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change