[SOLVED] Is this CPU dead?

Mar 22, 2021
Hi everyone,

My computer stopped booting for a while. Initially, I thought it was the motherboard that was dead but upon removing the intel i7 4770 that was inside, this is what I saw:

yaSgbh.jpg

I bought the computer used so I don't know how it was installed before. It worked well for about two years.

Is this the cause for the computer not booting up and if yes, is there something I can do to give it a second life?

Thanks

Solution
Same thing. I'd recommend CRC brand in the Red/white can, it's basically pure pressurized isopropyl, so works great for flushing out the socket, which you'll need to do most likely if that gunk on the bottom of the cpu is any indication. Just do not touch the insides of the socket with anything. Anything! other than the spray.

It's the one thing you can get really slap happy with, with the spray can and not damage anything.
it is difficult to see exactly what all is going on there, but...

Clean all contact pads and center section gently with a soft brush and isopropyl alcohol...

Retest...

If it does not work, you'd need a good board (or another known good CPU) to verify whether CPU and/or mainboard are bad...

Let's hope the cleaning it helps...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Same thing. I'd recommend CRC brand in the Red/white can, it's basically pure pressurized isopropyl, so works great for flushing out the socket, which you'll need to do most likely if that gunk on the bottom of the cpu is any indication. Just do not touch the insides of the socket with anything. Anything! other than the spray.

It's the one thing you can get really slap happy with, with the spray can and not damage anything.

Solution