Question Is this fixable?

judahg460

Honorable
Aug 3, 2018
Hey yall, so recently just got a Gigabyte GA-X99 Ultra on ebay for repair. Description said it was in a bios boot loop. Got the motherboard in and the dual bios chips were in the frightening state pictured below

Simple question, is this fixable? I am able to solder myself, dont have an issue there, but in regards to finding the right bios chip and condition of the solder pads, is this a lost cause?

Also should I refrain from putting any power to the board to test it out? Theres some shorted leads on the one bios chip thats left, really scaring me a bit.

Board only cost $25 so im not devastated, but, I would love for this to work out. Best regards yall

judahg460

Honorable
Aug 3, 2018
I bought it because I researched the bios boot loop issue beforehand. On these dual bios gigabyte mobos its common for one of the bios to die or need a reflash, and the description of the issue matched the problem. Lo and behold i get the board and the main bios chip is straight gone and the backup has a horrendous solder job on it.

The problem is unknown, thats what Im trying to figure out. I could troubleshoot further if I put power to the board, but with the wack soldering job i dont think that would be wise. Basically if the solder pads are still in tact , could I resolder this or do these boards need both bios chips to function?

I bought it because I researched the bios boot loop issue beforehand. On these dual bios gigabyte mobos its common for one of the bios to die or need a reflash, and the description of the issue matched the problem. Lo and behold i get the board and the main bios chip is straight gone and the backup has a horrendous solder job on it.

The problem is unknown, thats what Im trying to figure out. I could troubleshoot further if I put power to the board, but with the wack soldering job i dont think that would be wise. Basically if the solder pads are still in tact , could I resolder this or do these boards need both bios chips to function?
Somebody must have already tried to energize MB and/or to turn it on which would make short connection and most probably blew some other components. All you can do is to try replacing chip itself, Best tool for that is a blower type soldering system but buying it to fix just that board is not economical. New chip would come blank unless you can get one directly from Gigabyte specifically for that MB, so you would need instrument to program it.
In other words, if you are not going to do such repairs (semi)professionally it's waste of money and time.

judahg460

Honorable
Aug 3, 2018
I tried resoldering the chip that was on there and I was pretty successful seeing as i had a one temp iron and an angle grinder to grind the tip to a fine point. But, either the pads are bad or the bios chip that came with the board is bad. The board will basically power on for 3 seconds then die, on for 3 seconds and die, in a infinite loop.

They sell bios chips for this specific model that come preflashed on ebay, theyre about 10$. I actually went and sent a message to eBay and got a refund for the board haha, so got it for free, so nothin to lose by this point.

TRENDING THREADS