Question Is this Gigabyte B360 HD3P rev. 1.0 motherboard legit?

timeToSleepNow

Reputable
Jan 20, 2021
Hi! I just got today my allegedly brand new 1 piece Gigabyte B360 HD3P rev. 1.0 motherboard, sold as bulk. Upon closer inspection I noticed it was missing the second BIOS chip, as the motherboard was supposed to have a Dual Bios feature.

Mobo's page:
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B360-HD3P-rev-10

Here's my mobo:
JuIoNV2.png

A close up of the missing BIOS chip:
3JtgEv6.png

This is how it shows on the Gigabyte site:
49gK6Dc.png

A close up:
NMFnEJV.png

I got back in touch with the shop and they told me they bought a batch of 20 of these motherboards, and all of them were missing the BIOS chip. Prior to getting the motherboard, they updated the BIOS to version F16, as I requested it since I got an i5 9400F, which requires at least version F11. I guess the motherboard works if they are to tell the truth about updating the BIOS.

The shop also sells second hand parts, so I was not sure if they were telling the truth. Few minutes ago I sent an inquire to Gigabyte as well about the legitimacy of this motherboard and I'm awaiting an answer.

I still want to hear your opinion on it. So what do you think?

I didn't install the mobo into my PC.

Thanks!

Edit 1:

When I looked up the motherboard on:

I got this:
rqK4TEZ.png

Last edited:
Solution
Well, one thing I can tell you for sure is that platform is five years old and given it's age it's incredibly unlikely that Gigabyte would ever honor the warranty even if you bought it new two days ago. Based on what you posted I'd say somebody used these boards before and registered them otherwise the start date wouldn't have been in 2021 since they were manufactured in 2018-19. Personally, if you expected this to be a "new" product for such an old platform, I'd say you're in for hurt feelings. You could return it and show them your information, maybe get something else, but given the age of your processor it is not only unlikely, but nearly impossible (Aside from a handful of NOS - New old stock) that you are going to find any "new"...
Well, one thing I can tell you for sure is that platform is five years old and given it's age it's incredibly unlikely that Gigabyte would ever honor the warranty even if you bought it new two days ago. Based on what you posted I'd say somebody used these boards before and registered them otherwise the start date wouldn't have been in 2021 since they were manufactured in 2018-19. Personally, if you expected this to be a "new" product for such an old platform, I'd say you're in for hurt feelings. You could return it and show them your information, maybe get something else, but given the age of your processor it is not only unlikely, but nearly impossible (Aside from a handful of NOS - New old stock) that you are going to find any "new" motherboards for your CPU. 99% of what you find for that platform is going to be either reconditioned, imperfect (As yours, missing one BIOS chip) or used.

So basically, if you're very unhappy about the missing chip, return it. Else, try it and see if it works. Or take it back to them and tell them you want one that is complete.

Either way, if this was supposed to be "brand new" you can be pretty sure that it is not.

Solution

timeToSleepNow

Reputable
Jan 20, 2021
It was also actually hard for me to believe as well this was new, and as matter of fact I made sure to ask them about it when I bought it if it was indeed new. They assured me it was new. But it was weird because I found a second one only for 10 dollars cheaper. I went for this one still, because they offered 2 years warranty, and in my country they have to respect it by the law.

I will return it, as I have 14 days offered by the law in which I can return a product without having to give them any reason, as I bought it online.

What I'm gonna do next is go for a new CPU and motherboard of newer generation.

Thank you for the help! :)