[SOLVED] Is This Graphics Card Related?

Apr 7, 2020
I have been playing a game called Last Oasis recently and it has been crashing to desktop often. A small portion of the time my duel monitor setup will have one of the monitors go grey-ish and the youtube tabs will display a solid green. The grey-screen followed by a CTD used to lock up my system so bad I had to hard-shutdown but after doing a little powershell magic suggested in another thread I had here it no longer locks up that bad anymore. However, I'm not getting any popup warnings on Windows 10 suggesting that a driver has crashed. Of course all drivers are up to date. I experienced more of these types of crashes in Squad a long while back to the point I stopped playing that game but many other titles don't have this issue and are similarly card-demanding.

I have windows 10
An NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
It is slightly overclocked to 1417 Mhz by factory default
It runs cool-ish (60-70c) under full load

I'm not sure if it is the graphics card if anyone can point me in the direction of finding out that'd be amazing!

Edit The GPU in MSI Afterburner is showing a large peak just before the crash as shown in the screenshot below

unknown.png

Last edited:
Solution
Remove the Overclocks, CPU & Ram too, and see if it stable then. If so you have a lead on your issue, OC one item at a time and retest until you find the offender and then work the OC down towards stock speeds until you're stable again.

popatim

Titan
Remove the Overclocks, CPU & Ram too, and see if it stable then. If so you have a lead on your issue, OC one item at a time and retest until you find the offender and then work the OC down towards stock speeds until you're stable again.

Solution
Apr 7, 2020

I have another question based on my original post which shows the GPU in MSI Afterburner spiking to 100% and crashing immediately after.

I was watching this video (because I know nothing about overclocking or... under clocking?) and he was mentioning that as the clock rate goes up the total power to the card may also need to go up. This card was overclocked as-bought or rather as-given (since my first card had issues and when I claimed my warranty they gave me the card I have now which wasn't the original card purchased) but I was wondering, if the stock overclock is unstable and causing CTD's in-game would supplying it with more power make it stable?