Question Is this in any way a good idea?

InformalMrTom

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
Ok, so I'm doing a slow build, it'll take a few months to finish but I've already hit a snag.

I have a Corsair 680x case with 3 X 120mm fans in the front and 5 X 140mm fans at the top, bottom and back. Apparently you can't fit a 360mm radiator in the front if you have two 140mm fans at he top (classic Corsair oversight?) So to my question...

Is it in any way a good idea to mount he top two fans above the case like in the pictures? It leaves only about a centimeter of clearance as apposed to maybe 2 or 3 if they were mounted underneath, but with the benefit of no obstructive mesh.

InformalMrTom

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
Wow, that's a freaking lot of fans man.

Top mount the radiator and move the top fans to the front of the case?

The plexi-glass is going to reduce the airflow if mounted above the case as pictured.

What cpu are you trying to cool?
I currently don't have a CPU but it's probably going to be a 10900k when they're back in stock.

Top mounting the radiator is an option but because I'm a shallow person who lives for nothing but aesthetics I don't want two 140mm fans on the front of my case...

Some people say it's ok to mount the fans like I've shown, saying that because they're exhaust fans it won't effect temperatures that much.

If worst comes to worst I'll sell the two 140mm fans and get two 120's instead. And then cry myself to sleep.

I would not recommend mounting the AIO on the front of the case with a 10900K cpu. For cpu's with a lower TDP it's not so bad but that cpu is really hot. You will dump all that heat into the case. GPU's will thermally throttle as well when they get close to 80C.