[SOLVED] Is this normal? Why does Task Manager say my i7 7700k is 3.30GHz?

Feb 16, 2021

I looked at task manager today to check everything on my PC was normal.
It says my CPU is running at 3.30ghz whereas I have it set to run at 4.4GHz (as CPU-Z does show)
I want to know why this is happening and if there is something I should be concerned about?
I'm kind of a noob and just wanna make sure everything is working as I want it to be.

Solution
It says my CPU is running at 3.30ghz whereas I have it set to run at 4.4GHz (as CPU-Z does show)
This might be relevant:

In general, Task Manager's CPU speed reading is famously wrong most of the time. Get some good third party utilities: HWMonitor or HWInfo64 (for Ryzen especially).
a lot of system reports will always show the default manufacturer set base speeds and\or boost speeds in their reports because they are not reading the actual current speed, just reading an info tab.
you can see in your image that the current speed was 2.57GHz more than likely due to Speed Stepping\C-States when in low usage.

Feb 16, 2021
a lot of system reports will always show the default manufacturer set base speeds and\or boost speeds in their reports because they are not reading the actual current speed, just reading an info tab.
you can see in your image that the current speed was 2.57GHz more than likely due to Speed Stepping\C-States when in low usage.

I've tested putting the CPU into high usage (100% load) and it still seems the speed says 2.56 - 2.57GHz which is strange to me.

I tried researching and wasn't able to find results that really answered my question but some people said Task Manager could just be innacurate and CPU-Z is displaying everything correctly.

Otherwise this is kinda confusing to me

5lxWY9L.jpg

you can see Task Manager doesn't display correctly.
my current speed at the time of the image was 800MHz, while my OC is set to max at 5GHz.
but here it displays 1.14GHz and only shows the manufacturer default speeds of this CPU in the "Base Speed" readout.

you should use a realtime monitoring tool OSD, like RTSS(Riva Tuner), to read the actual speeds you may be reaching while in heavy use.
if it still shows speeds lower than your set clocks, you will want to investigate more.

This might be relevant:

In general, Task Manager's CPU speed reading is famously wrong most of the time. Get some good third party utilities: HWMonitor or HWInfo64 (for Ryzen especially).

Solution
Feb 16, 2021
Thanks for the answers.

This is what I assumed yeah, it's just good to have some validation

I have tried many other tools and they all show everything correctly, was just a little weirded out as to why task manager shows this I guess.