Is this normal ?

Solution

Probably, but you should really try to achieve good air FLOW with fans throughout the case. I have a feeling the problem is with the CPU cooler and thermal paste, add all the air you want, going down from 85c is going to take more that that.

StarChief

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
The cpu is too hot, make sure the cooler is seated properly and has adequate thermal paste. Also good airflow in the case doesn't hurt. 72 on GPU is nothing major, but is a little warm for a 970.

Video Games

Reputable
May 7, 2015

Would removing the side panel of my PC help with airflow/cooling?

arlemedra

Reputable
Jul 22, 2014
Sustained operation at 85C will reduce the longevity of your processor. You may want to upgrade your processor sometime in the near future, as that i3 is most likely massively bottlnecking your gtx 970, but that means that the graphics temps are a little surprising to me, though it isn't anything to cause concern because graphics cards are built to sustain more heat than the processor. I agree with Starchief in that you would do well to reseat your cpu and reapply thermal paste, as well as checking to make sure you have adequate airflow in your case.

Your high temps would also likely result in your processor throttling back, further reducing your system performance.

StarChief

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015

Probably, but you should really try to achieve good air FLOW with fans throughout the case. I have a feeling the problem is with the CPU cooler and thermal paste, add all the air you want, going down from 85c is going to take more that that.

Solution

Kiril1512

Distinguished

74º is normal for 970 so 72º is good.

arlemedra

Reputable
Jul 22, 2014

Here's a thread with an answer for you: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/288322-28-open-case-flow.

If you don't feel like reading then it depends on your case. If your case has good airflow then it will make it worse, if not then it will help.

On a side note, when have you last cleaned your computer? Dust buildup can cause temps to rise and may pose a fire hazard, but only a difference of a few degrees.

StarChief

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015

I consider normal to be average. Average temp for a 970 playing games is high 60s. Mine never exceeds 70 and I have super crappy air, I have like on fan in the case. Of coarse a gpu can take much higher temps, but I wouldn't call 74c "good" temp for a maxwell GPU.

Video Games

Reputable
May 7, 2015

ok I will clean the dust first than reapply the thermal paste and keep the case open and think I will get a better cpu cooler any susggest ? Thanks all for the advice.