Question Is this NORMAL????

hephaistos

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
Got an intel i5 4670, just installed it, I am using stock cooler. Changed the thermal paste twice. It is Cooler Master thrmal paste.With real temp I am monitoring temperature, and at idle my cpu is around 40-50C. At full load stress test done with prime 95 my cpu temps rise up the 70-80s. Is this normal, or is there a reason to freak out. Because I am freaking out at the moment. And also.: People who will tell me, CpU shOulD IdlE AroUnD 30C, and have little to NO knowledge about the i5-4670, please leave me alone. This is the non k version. When running games, and heaven benchmark, my gpu is at 99 but cpu is at 20-30% temps at 40-60. During gameplay my monitoring software is msi afterburner. Thanks for the help guyzz

I don't see anything really out of wack.
Prime 95 stresses the CPU hard and I think 70-80 isn't out of line for Prime 95.
Your idle seems a little high....but it's not going to hurt anything.
....and I don't think you will hurt anything by just leaving the system alone.

I don't think games are going to stress the CPU harder than Prime 95....so your temps should stay good.

If you want to try something.....try running with the case open and see what happens to the temps. If they drop....add some case cooling.

You can also run with the case open as long as your careful not to drop or spill anything in there. I run like this pretty often.

Your idle temps are on the high side for sure. Idle should be about 30-35, gaming 45-65, full load 70-80c. Load temps (stressing with Prime95) are okay, bit high, but not to worry about. But that depends on what test you are running. TO get your true max temps, run Prime95 small ffts. This will test only your CPU and cache. This will tell us what the true max temp while stressing is. I feel it will be more than 80c.

It may be the stock cooler just isn't doing it's job after a few years they get dusty and don't spin as they used to. Consider replacing it.. It could be the paste is applied incorrectly (it should be a pea sized blob in the centre of the IHS). It could be the cooler isn't seated properly. Even just one corner out can cause much higher temps than normal as it's not flush.

I'd agree with jay32267 for the most part, but something seems a little amiss.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Sorry, but the CPU really should be closer to 30 degrees idle. Most 4670 can sit around 30-40 degrees idle.
I absolutely wouldn't expect it to sit at 50 degrees idle.

And the Tcase max temp for the 4670 is 72 degrees, so 80 degrees is a bit high, but if you're only reaching up to 60 under heavy load gaming then there is not much reason to worry. Benches always come out higher - especially prime95, but as long as you're not hitting those temps regularly you should be fine.

Idle is high, but remember your ambient temperature is also incredibly important here.

hephaistos

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
I don't see anything really out of wack.
Prime 95 stresses the CPU hard and I think 70-80 isn't out of line for Prime 95.
Your idle seems a little high....but it's not going to hurt anything.
....and I don't think you will hurt anything by just leaving the system alone.

I don't think games are going to stress the CPU harder than Prime 95....so your temps should stay good.

If you want to try something.....try running with the case open and see what happens to the temps. If they drop....add some case cooling.

You can also run with the case open as long as your careful not to drop or spill anything in there. I run like this pretty often.
I have had the case open for the last 4 months.

hephaistos

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
Sorry, but the CPU really should be closer to 30 degrees idle. Most 4670 can sit around 30-40 degrees idle.
I absolutely wouldn't expect it to sit at 50 degrees idle.

And the Tcase max temp for the 4670 is 72 degrees, so 80 degrees is a bit high, but if you're only reaching up to 60 under heavy load gaming then there is not much reason to worry. Benches always come out higher - especially prime95, but as long as you're not hitting those temps regularly you should be fine.

Idle is high, but remember your ambient temperature is also incredibly important here.
Since it's summer here my ambient temp is around 26C.

WildCard999

Titan
Remember, when testing with Prime95 on Intel CPU's it needs to be version 26.6 or with AVX disabled or your not going to get proper temps.

Your using the stock cooler which is garbage (loud and barely keeps the CPU cool under load).

What is your ambient (room) temp? No matter how good the cooling, the CPU will not be lower then the ambient temp so if you live in a warm area it would be expected to have a higher temp.

Edit: 26C is pretty warm so with the stock cooler those temps are actually realistic. Also with the stock cooler or any push pin style cooler the more times you take it off and put it back on the pins can wear down after a few times and may not make the best contact compared to the first time putting the cooler on.

hephaistos

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
Remember, when testing with Prime95 on Intel CPU's it needs to be version 26.6 or with AVX disabled or your not going to get proper temps.

Your using the stock cooler which is garbage (loud and barely keeps the CPU cool under load).

What is your ambient (room) temp? No matter how good the cooling, the CPU will not be lower then the ambient temp so if you live in a warm area it would be expected to have a higher temp.

Edit: 26C is pretty warm so with the stock cooler those temps are actually realistic. Also with the stock cooler or any push pin style cooler the more times you take it off and put it back on the pins can wear down after a few times and may not make the best contact compared to the first time putting the cooler on.
Sooo, you are trying to tell me, that after removing the cooler twice, I am supposed to change my motherboard? Because pins will wear down?

hephaistos

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
Not the pins on the motherboard, the push pins on the CPU cooler. After two times it's probably fine but I'd eventually get a good aftermarket cooler, the CM EVO 212 Black is great for the price.
Hello,
I believe that I can achieve normal temps and I can figure out the myth behind these ridiculously high temperatures without throwing out cash on some cooler, (pls don't warn me that this for my own good and etc. (I know it is but I still don't want to). But I am going to describe now my adventure of installing the cpu with detail. First I bought the cpu. Then I have gently placed it in the socket. I have first applied my Cooler Master thermal compound in some cross form, placed the cooler I got with the i5 4670, (not a new cooler), and powered it up. (I didn't wait for it to dry or whatsoever). This time I didn't play games nor did I run any stress tests. I just powered it off after discovering the 45C avg temp at idle. Then I have removed the cooler, removed the paste. I have now changed my cooler to the one I had. Also I think it is important to note that the cooler I got with the 4670, had a sudden loud spin up sort of thing at startup, while with the other one I have never experienced this. Now this time I have just applied the paste in a blob and placed the old cooler. But I didn't power it up. I phoned a computer guy and asked him about the problem. He said that the compund should be very gently spread on the surface on the lid with your pinky, so it can be smooth and equal. So I went back to the pc, removed the cooler, and just spread the thermal paste like he instructed me to. But didn't remove any paste from what there was on the old cooler. But! I have cleaned the old cooler completely after removing the old cpu. So both coolers were clean. But after placing the old cooler with the blob shaped thermal paste and not powering this one on, I have removed the cooler, and as I said spread the paste with my pinky. But I didn't remove the thermal paste from the cooler and placed it back like that. It wasn't dry yet.

Then I have powered it on right away, and got the same 45 idle, 50 on some cores. Ran a heaven benchmark, gpu on 99% I was happy with that. Played war thunder. Temps still at the same 50C. Then I thought let's see what's really up and ran a prime 95. The option I selected was blend all above. Got a max temp of 84C.

Now that I gave these detailed details I hope I get some solutions, ore opinions.

hephaistos

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
Your idle temps are on the high side for sure. Idle should be about 30-35, gaming 45-65, full load 70-80c. Load temps (stressing with Prime95) are okay, bit high, but not to worry about. But that depends on what test you are running. TO get your true max temps, run Prime95 small ffts. This will test only your CPU and cache. This will tell us what the true max temp while stressing is. I feel it will be more than 80c.

It may be the stock cooler just isn't doing it's job after a few years they get dusty and don't spin as they used to. Consider replacing it.. It could be the paste is applied incorrectly (it should be a pea sized blob in the centre of the IHS). It could be the cooler isn't seated properly. Even just one corner out can cause much higher temps than normal as it's not flush.

I'd agree with jay32267 for the most part, but something seems a little amiss.
Did what you said with p95 went up to 92C.

WildCard999

Titan
I phoned a computer guy and asked him about the problem. He said that the compund should be very gently spread on the surface on the lid with your pinky, so it can be smooth and equal.

LOL!

Thermal paste should be thinly applied to the CPU and while there's a few different methods of application the best one I find is applying a pea size amount to the CPU and spreading it evenly over the CPU with a credit card or something similar.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC Tailor

hephaistos

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
LOL!

Thermal paste should be thinly applied to the CPU and while there's a few different methods of application the best one I find is applying a pea size amount to the CPU and spreading it evenly over the CPU.
So what should I do here? I have also figured that when I start up the system temps are at like 60. Then under a few minutes everything goes to normal and when it idles at 3% I have 39-43C but doesn't really exceed that. When browsing it is at 48-50. Cooler boi is pretty loud tho.

hephaistos

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
So what should I do here? I have also figured that when I start up the system temps are at like 60. Then under a few minutes everything goes to normal and when it idles at 3% I have 39-43C but doesn't really exceed that. When browsing it is at 48-50. Cooler boi is pretty loud tho.
Should I clean of everything completely and just do the pea sized thingy again?

Did what you said with p95 went up to 92C.

Yeah, i thought it would get high. Something is rotten in Denmark (as the proverb goes!).

As both Wildcard999 and I have suggested, it could be the paste application. Although I agree with WIldcard on the pea sized blob (which should be in the centre of the IHS), spreading it out as such is not what's recommended. In my understanding, setting the cooler down correctly will cause the pea sized blob to spread out over the IHS and evenly spread covering the whole IHS with a nice thing layer. I may be wrong though.

Edit: A little guide on how to do it: https://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-properly-apply-thermal-paste-and-install-a-cpu/

WildCard999

Titan
Yeah, i thought it would get high. Something is rotten in Denmark (as the proverb goes!).

As both Wildcard999 and I have suggested, it could be the paste application. Although I agree with WIldcard on the pea sized blob (which should be in the centre of the IHS), spreading it out as such is not what's recommended. In my understanding, setting the cooler down correctly will cause the pea sized blob to spread out over the IHS and evenly spread covering the whole IHS with a nice thing layer. I may be wrong though.
Either method works fine but I like spreading it to ensure it's evenly covered.

At this point read this guide, it has literally everything you need to know about that CPU. It also includes links for Prime95 V26.6 (if it doesn't work then Google how to remove AVX in the ini file).

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

Last edited:

hephaistos

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018

hephaistos

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
Apologies, I'm not trolling, I'm making light of the situation. I've offered the correct advice, as have others. We are all trying to figure out your issue :)

edit: I was replying to WIldcard999' post, making a joke.
Yeah thanks guys, appreciate it. I'll try to remove the thermal paste again, tomorrow, after school. Gonna try to keep this tread updated. :)

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Hi Guys,

I've been following this thread and would like to point out a few obvious, and not so obvious considerations that shouldn't be overlooked or taken for granted.

hephaistos,

Apparently you have 2 stock coolers; one you received with your i5-4670, and another stock cooler of unmentioned origin. Since you haven't told us which CPU the second cooler was packaged with, and since Intel has many different "stock" coolers, before we proceed any further, it's important to confirm that you're running the correct stock cooler, as it can make a huge difference.

The i5-4670 is an 84 Watt TDP processor which specifies the PCG 2013D stock cooler: Intel Product Specifications - https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...5-4670-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-80-ghz.html

The PCG 2013"D" is one of Intel's "universal" stock coolers. It's rated at 95 Watts TDP, and has been used for many generations on 77, 84, 88 and 95 Watt CPUs. It looks identical to the PCG 2013"C" which is another universal stock cooler, except it's rated at only 65 Watts TDP. They're both aluminum coolers, but the way to differentiate between them is that the 95 Watt cooler has a round copper center visible from the bottom, while the 65 Watt cooler is solid aluminum. Intel Stock Coolers - http://www.anandtech.com/show/10500/stock-cooler-roundup-intel-amd-vs-evo-212/3

If the seller from whom your purchased your 84 Watt i5-4670 packaged it with the 65 Watt all aluminum "C" version cooler, and your other cooler is also the same 65 Watt cooler, then your Core temperatures will always be higher, regardless of your efforts.

(Q): Which stock coolers do you have?

Although "Throttle" temperature for your i5-4670 is 100°C, it’s not advisable to run your CPU near it's thermal limit. If your hottest Core begins to approach it's specified Tj Max Throttle temperature, then your CPU is already too hot. The consensus among well informed and highly experienced system builders, reviewers and overclockers, is that cooler is better for ultimate stability, performance and longevity. Experts all agree that it's prudent to observe a reasonable thermal margin below Throttle temperature. As such, here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

Concerning the application of thermal compound, the "pea" size approach is most popular, as it allows the compound to spread evenly using the compression of the cooler. The objective is to eliminate voids or air pockets, so the cooler is ideally secured using even pressure simultaneously from opposite sides. For users who favor the "spread" method, the narrow end of a flexible business card works best by "trowelling" the compound from 90° angles until a thin, smooth spread is achieved, free of streaks, air pockets or voids. Patience, a strong light and attention to detail are key.

As you may already be aware, push-pins can be deceivingly tricky to get them fully inserted through the motherboard and properly latched. It's exceedingly easy to mis-attach a corner, which even the best of us have done, so take great care to avoid damaging a pin, and to fully seat the cooler to achieve the best thermal performance.

Further, the international "standard" for "normal" ambient room temperature is 22°C or 72°F, so for every degree ambient temperature is above normal, your Core temperatures will also be that much higher. This is an often overlooked but hugely important factor when users toss around Core temperature numbers like Gorilla fling-poo in a cage, especially when discussing idle temperatures.

Additionally, many users overlook the fact that "idle" means exactly that; idle ... specifically, NO foreground activity, and only 1 or 2% CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager. "Idle" does NOT mean a light workload with "tray trash" running in the background or YouTube running in a browser while typing in the Forums.

Comparing apples to apples is about minimizing and eliminating as many environmental, hardware and software variables as possible. So for thermal testing, we normalize our test results to standard ambient temperature, we test with case covers removed and fans at 100% RPM, and we run Prime95 v26.6 Small FFT's, because it's non-AVX stead-state 100% TDP workload which conforms to Intel's Datasheets.

... the Tcase max temp for the 4670 is 72 degrees, so 80 degrees is a bit high ...

PC Tailor,

Tcase has always been a confusing and very misleading Thermal Specification. Here's why:

When users of 6th Generation and earlier processors see their Thermal Specification at Intel’s Product Specifications website, most don’t realize what Tcase actually means. Since there are numerous software utilities for monitoring Core temperature, users assume Tcase must be maximum Core temperature. This is a basic misconception which has persisted since 2006.

Tcase is not Core temperature.

Tcase is IHS temperature, which is a factory only measurement using a thermocouple embedded into the IHS of an engineering sample. Retail processors don't have a thermocouple sensor, so users can't monitor IHS temperature. Tcase is intended to be used for designing cooling solutions. As Core temperatures are measured at the heat sources where temperatures are highest and can be monitored by users, but IHS temperature (Tcase) can't, Core temperature is the standard for thermal measurement. Accordingly, Tjunction (Tj Max) or "Throttle" temperature is the limiting Thermal Specification; not Tcase.

The Datasheets show both Tcase and Tjunction (Tj Max) specifications for Desktop processors, but the website shows only Tcase for 6th Generation and earlier, or only Tjunction (Tj Max) for 7th Generation and later. Nonetheless, as the 6th Gen 6700 and 7th Gen 7700 are essentially the same, they have identical Tcase and Tj Max specifications in their Datasheets. Mobile (laptop) processors don’t have an Integrated Heat Spreader, so they don’t have Tcase specifications; only Tj Max.

Intel’s move away from Tcase on their website synchronizes Desktop and Mobile Thermal Specifications. Although users can’t monitor Tcase (IHS temperature), it's a useful specification for developers of cooling solutions. So from Core 2 processors in 2006 to today's Core i processors, Tj Max has always been the limiting Thermal Specification; not Tcase. For end users, this means Tcase is an irrelevant Thermal Specification.

Respectfully, before you quote Tcase values in our Forums, as WildCard999 has suggested, please read our Guide so you can get yourself up to speed on this topic: Intel Temperature Guide - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

You'll find the full explanation revealing the misleading basis of the Tcase Thermal Specification within the Guide.

CT 😎

InvalidError

Titan
Thermal paste application method makes almost no difference in actual results for most pastes, there is only a 2-3C difference between best and worst within reason. The "pea" method is the simplest to get right. With non-conductive pastes, you don't really need to worry about putting too much on there aside from a possibly nasty future cleaning job.

70-80C with Intel's stock HSF under stress-test conditions such as Prime95 is normal. If you want lower temperatures, you need a better HSF.

Reactions: boju