Is this okay for a minecraft server?

Sycho56

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015
So I've recently bought an old Dell Poweredge 1600sc for a game server pc. I know the hardware in it limits it a lot but I got it for free so where can you go wrong. I wanted to install a new motherboard with a new cpu, upgraded ram, psu and a cheap gpu and continue to use the same case because it keeps the components cooled well. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/24QXQ7 That link is to the parts I chose and I was wondering if that would work well for a server pc that would be running a windows based OS and running 1-2 Minecraft servers 24/7, and from time to time a Garry's mod server. Is this going to be okay?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($113.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.98 @ Mac Mall)
Case: Xion XON-310_BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($22.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply ($23.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $392.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-22 23:41 EDT-0400

You need to note a couple of things. 32 gigs of ram will be utterly useless unless you have the internet to host many players. Especially the way mojag coded it. Also, what kind of servers. How many plugins? vanilla or spigot/bucket.

Sycho56

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015

The server plans were actually to host 2 minecraft servers, 1 modded minecraft server, 1 bukkit server (which the plugin amount has yet to be figured out) and 1 other server that would very between Garry's mod, Counter Strike: Source, or G.O, and other Source engine games that would not run 24/7. That was why I had considered 32GB of ram so I had some room to grow later on. If that's still too much ram for what I intended then I'll narrow it down to the 16GB like you suggested. Also I had actually looked at the i3-4130 and I chose the FX-6300 because it had a far better overclock rating, but I'll look more into it if you think it will be better. Also I am assuming your not too pro on the fact that I wanted to use the Poweredge 1600sc case, whats your thoughts on that?

If by modded you mean something like FTB, you will want an SSD for sure! As well as an intel CPU. MC is one of those CPU heavy tasks and it performs better on an intel CPU. The b85 board I chose has support for 32 g igs of ram if you actually need it. As for OCing, you'll see better results with more cores/higher IPC. As for case, not sure if it supports MATX standard

Sycho56

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015

At the moment I don't know if I can fit an SSD into my budget, the list you threw together for me put me a bit over it already but I'm more than willing to get the items in that list if it will mean better performance. Currently I have a spare 650GB HDD that I would like to use in it for the time being. As for ram at the moment I do think it would be better to leave it at 16 GB for now until I actually need it. That motherboard I think would be perfect to give me some head room for that. And the overclocking thing I'll probably not do straight away really but it was something I wasn't interested in doing a bit later. Also that case, I am not entirely sure if it does either but when I get the parts I'll dismantle it and see what I can do, and if nothing than I will find something. Also thank you very much for the help :)

Try 16 gigs for now. Chances are you will probably see a network bottleneck before ram becomes an issue. As for an SSD, MC loads chunks as per instructions set by bukkit/spigot. So the faster speeds on an ssd will mean less lag when re-entering a certain chunk,

I have run many minecraft servers. Intel is your friend here. An i3 with one core disabled will run a MC server better than an overclocked fx8320 will.

Go for the i3. And yes, an SSD is a MUST especially for FTB. Basically required. 16gb is more than enough. I ran a 30 person server on 4gb RAM and never had an issue. Never went over 2.7gb or so.

Sycho56

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015

Okay, I will see to it that I throw an SSD into the build.

Sycho56

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015

Okay, i3 it is. And I am assuming that should be enough to run 1-2 Minecraft servers 24/7 with the occasional Garry's Mod or Counter Strike: Source server (not 24/7)?

Sycho56

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015

Alright, fantastic. Thank you for your help, I will proceed to work on my project now :)