[SOLVED] is this overlock CORE VOLTAGE considered good on i7 8700k?

Mar 1, 2018
Hi there, I have overclocked my CPU (i7 8700k) from 3.7 GHz to 5.0 GHz ...
I have not run any stress test, but my PC been running for days very stable in everything, gaming and all. I have run CPU-Z and it's reporting CORE VOLTAGE at 1.344, and CPU temperatures are around 31 idle and max 72 on full load and heavy gaming

MY MAIN QUESTION IS, is the CORE VOLTAGE 1.344 considered ok for this overclock?

https://imgur.com/a/EWQWgXW >>> (image of CPU-Z report)

Solution
Careful with what you look at. There's a difference between vcore and VID. Vcore is what you've set the cpu to use, VID is what the cpu actually uses, so there can be a considerable difference.

Aida64, p95, occt, ibt or any of the other 'stress' testers suck for the 1 thing other than temps important when overclocking. That's stability. None will be of any use there. The best is Asus RealBench, as it actually pushes the entire pc, from gpu to cpu, ram and storage. Stress testers push the cpu only, some use linpack which adds in some ram usage, but are only concerned in ability to push temps in a single program. RealBench uses multiple programs in varying degrees and ways to work everything. Very easy to pass Aida64 8hr test and fail in...
Mar 1, 2018

Thanx, so I ran the stress test using AIDA64 I have made some adjustments here,

I realized the 1.344 voltage is too high and it was causing CPU temps to go in 92-93 during the stress test.
I went back to BIOS and still overclocking at 5 GHz but this time I set my voltage to 1.240

windows loads fine, ran the stress test completely stable for 1 hour.
The absolute highest CPU temp was 89, however, it mainly ranged between 60-75 throughout the 1 hour of the stress test.

I WILL BE RUNNING THE STRESS TEST AGAIN OVERNIGHT FOR ABOUT 9 HOURS, to see what will happen with that done.

I have an image here that shows everything, and I do have a question:

since I set the voltage to 1.240 in BIOS why does CPU-Z report CORE VOLTAGE 1.200 V during the test, and at idle it reports 1.232 V ... Shouldn't it show the 1.240 I set it to ? it's actually showing lower voltage!

here is the image of the stress test:

https://imgur.com/a/k9bCVAU

Mar 1, 2018

CLICK ON THE IMAGE IT WILL ZOOM IN BRO ...

NO , CORE TEMP SHOWS SOMETHING CALLED VID: which is what is should be at 1.35 for 5 GHz

but CPU-Z reads CORE VOLTAGE 1.200 ... CLICK ON THE IMAGE IN ZOOOM INN

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Careful with what you look at. There's a difference between vcore and VID. Vcore is what you've set the cpu to use, VID is what the cpu actually uses, so there can be a considerable difference.

Aida64, p95, occt, ibt or any of the other 'stress' testers suck for the 1 thing other than temps important when overclocking. That's stability. None will be of any use there. The best is Asus RealBench, as it actually pushes the entire pc, from gpu to cpu, ram and storage. Stress testers push the cpu only, some use linpack which adds in some ram usage, but are only concerned in ability to push temps in a single program. RealBench uses multiple programs in varying degrees and ways to work everything. Very easy to pass Aida64 8hr test and fail in RealBench after 30 seconds.

Solution

WildCard999

Titan

I'm aware on how to zoom in but when you have a 13" 1366x768 the image is still small, also magnifying it only makes it blurry.

Mar 1, 2018

I have just run the stress test on RealBench for 15 minutes ...
CoreTemp reported VID 1.2548 V and max CPU TEMP of 84

This is at 5 GHz

and again, I will run RealBench for 8 hours and keep u posted on results. Thanx.

Mar 1, 2018

Mar 1, 2018

So I have done it ..... Ran RealBenchfor an 8 hour stress test ... EVERYTHING PERFECTLY STABLE

5 GHz at 1.240 voltage
:) .. thanx for your replies ..