Is This Power Supply Good For A Raspberry Pi 2

GKandRiven

Reputable
May 11, 2016
Hi all I bought a power supply from JayCar Electronics it has upto 3 amps and the guy there said it has something special about the voltage output I dont know what exactly what he said but the PS can do more than just one output voltage maybe thats what he meant, will 3 amps be good still as from what I know the RasPi 2 will just use what amps it needs and this will not damage it as the RaspPi uses about 2.5 amps and 5 Volts but the PS below has 3.6V - 6.5Volts is this ok?

https://www.jaycar.com.au/3a-quick-charge-3-0-usb-power-adaptor/p/MP3443

Solution
Devices supporting fancy QuickCharge protocol can talk to the adapter whether it does it, and if so, raise the voltage so that phones can charge faster. But, these power adapters should start with 5VDC.

If I was you - I would return that fancy stuff, and get something off-the-shelf, 5Volt/1Amp.
Raspberry is best powered thru microUSB port, strictly 5VDC. 1Amp will be more than enough. Definitely not $30 unit.

The adapter you've listed is suited for smartphones and tables with QuickCharge technology, it is way over-engineered for RPi. But it will work, as long as it gives 5VDC.

Devices supporting fancy QuickCharge protocol can talk to the adapter whether it does it, and if so, raise the voltage so that phones can charge faster. But, these power adapters should start with 5VDC.

If I was you - I would return that fancy stuff, and get something off-the-shelf, 5Volt/1Amp.

Solution