Is this pre-built worth? Unsure upgrades for a pre-built.

Not_E

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015
So I recently bought this pre-built system at a discounted price of 750 dollars after tax. I am thinking of upgrading this system by adding another stick of RAM and a SSD. However, I am not really sure if the RAM/SSD i bought would work with this system. (there really isnt that much information in the specs) If this system has any major flaws I would be really thankful to hear about them!

I would really appreciate some insight on whether or not this computer was worth what I paid for it, and some help with the RAM and SSD would be great also.

I hardly ever multitask, and this computer would be mostly used for games that aren't demanding such as league of legends. Thank you all very much for helping!

LINK TO COMPUTER: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-gray-black/6289104.p?skuId=6289104

LINK TO RAM: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XNRXCV6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LINK TO SSD: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0781Z7Y3S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Solution
pre-built PC have same limitations of custom built ones.

only way to know what you can add is to look at the specs or open the desktop and look inside~

as far as storage goes any sata style ssd (like 1 you linked) will work just like any modern hdd. (same connectors).

the ram will work (even same speed) though most ppl suggest buying ram in pairs it isnt required technically.

the specs say there are 4 RAM slots so you might wanna check what model your Motherboard is (should say on it somwhere) and find out what slot to put it in (thoguh looking at pics prolly the other gray one to match the one other is in)

pins regarding ram is likely meaning the differences between ddr 1, 2, 3 and 4. more pins on newer ones (266 i think on...

Not_E

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015

my friend mentioned something about pins and the RAM, and i have absolutely no clue what he is talking about and found no video including it. Is there any chance that you know what he is referring to?

pre-built PC have same limitations of custom built ones.

only way to know what you can add is to look at the specs or open the desktop and look inside~

as far as storage goes any sata style ssd (like 1 you linked) will work just like any modern hdd. (same connectors).

the ram will work (even same speed) though most ppl suggest buying ram in pairs it isnt required technically.

the specs say there are 4 RAM slots so you might wanna check what model your Motherboard is (should say on it somwhere) and find out what slot to put it in (thoguh looking at pics prolly the other gray one to match the one other is in)

pins regarding ram is likely meaning the differences between ddr 1, 2, 3 and 4. more pins on newer ones (266 i think on ddr4?)

also make sure to look ta the ram slot and put ram stick in right way (theres a notch so it only fits 1 way and you dont wanna break anything by putting it in wrong way)

Solution

Not_E

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015

Thank you so much for the clarifications! I have one more question about before i put anything in the system. Do I really need to be concerned about the static on my hands ruining any parts of the PC?

Not_E

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015

I live in a dorm and everywhere is carpeted. That is really unfortunate

depends.

I have never worn an anti static band. Never had any issue with it.

But there IS a risk of it capable of damaging parts.

You can watch popular pc builders on youtube making em and all and very rarely do you ever see anti static stuff.

All comes down to how much you trust yourself to avoid building up static (if ur in a dry enviroment or wear socks on carpeted floor and stuff then i'd be a bit mroe wary)

typically touching an exposed metal part of psu/case will discharge any build up prior to building.

if you are worried no harm in getting one as they arent very expensive and peace of mind is worth it in end.
(since $10-15 is a tiny investment to protect hundreds/thousands of dollars in components)

TL;DR not a requirement, but does guarantee no static damaged parts.

if you know you are type who builds up static easily then i'd say use one.

Here is the list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($67.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($498.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair - 270R ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Corsair)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1051.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-03 12:51 EST-0500

Little($50) above the budget but is very reliable and way more powerful than i5-8400 and GTX1060Ti combo. Worth spending bit extra.