Is this processor compatible with laptop?

Obnoxious

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Hello,

I do sincerely appreciate the time you're taking into reading this post, and for answering. I do apologise for wasting your time too. Again, thank you for taking your time to read my question; I do appreciate your support.

My question is, will the Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile (T9300) processor fit into my laptop? Unfortunately my laptop is not a popular model, and is manufactured by Zoostorm. However, the following processors are guaranteed to be compatible (according to the laptop's manual):

Intel Core 2 Duo: T6600, T6500 and T6400.

My current processor is a Pentium Dual-Core T4400, and the laptop came with an Intel Celeron 900.

Based on all the above details, and after comparing them rigorously; I believe the processor I desire to install (the T9300) will be compatible. However it is not on the CPU support list, and the processor I want to install is an older CPU, so there should be less issues with BIOS updates I believe.

However, I am not certain whether the processor will be compatible or not. Can anyone provide any assistance, or has anyone had a similar experience?

Sorry for the bother, and thank you very much one again. :)

Kindest regards.

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
Well what are you planning on doing on your laptop? game wise you won't see much difference from the t6400 vs the t9300 as far as performance goes. those are a all p1 socket processors. Did you by any chance run cpu-z or cpuid? to find out what chipset you have? if you find out your chipset I can help you find the best possible upgrade for your laptop while also being compatible.

Obnoxious

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Thank you for your response.

Firstly, no I am not planning on playing any games. At the moment the laptop runs terribly slow, and I've recently formatted it, but still no avail. I am now looking to upgrade it. I will be upgrading the RAM to 4GB soon, but it's mainly the processor causing the performance issues. I will only be using the laptop for browsing online, reading emails, and watching HD videos here and there.

Yes, I have ran CPU-Z on the laptop and the chipset is a GL40. For the screen shot, please click here. If you require anything else, please ask and I will provide.

Thank you again for your assistance, I do appreciate it.

Kindest regards.

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
here is a list of all of the processors optimized for the gl40 here http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/mobile-computing/mobile-gm45-intel-gs45-gl40-express-chipsets-brief.html?wapkw=gl40 The thing that I have always done with mobile processors upgrades is make sure that the seller has something like a 14 or 30 day return policy first. Any of the processors on that list should work. I think as far as laptops go one of the best upgrades that you can do is upgrading to an ssd. They come fairly cheap now at around $90 for a 120gig drive. I also wrote a tutorial a while ago describing different things that I did to speed up my aging laptop that was slowing down. you can read about it here http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2084075/resurrected-failing-laptop.html

Obnoxious

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Thank you very much for your response eatmypie. I have ordered an Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 as intended, and have received it today. I've replaced my current processor with it, and it the Core 2 Duo works perfectly, with no setup required (just plug and play).

For anyone else on the same chipset (GL40) looking for upgrades, it does not matter if the CPU you desire to upgrade to is not listed on your laptop's CPU support list. However, if it's a Socket P processor with 800MHz FSB (not higher), then it will work with your GL40 chipset. Here's a quote, by Drev9 from CPU-Upgrade.

The GL40 chipset will support Any Socket P CPU with a max of 800Mhz FSB. I have owned multiple Toshiba Satellite L355's, and have installed upwards of a T9500 and T9300 successfully. These all work:

T9500
T9300
T7800
T7700
T7500
T7300
T7100
T6500
T6400
T5800
T5750
T5550
T4200

There are plenty more, but I have tried all of these successfully in a GL40 chipset motherboard. As long as you are running socket P, and do not exceed 800Mhz FSB, it will work.

I can vouch for Drev9, my CPU also worked on the GL40 chipset; even though it's not listed on the CPU support list on my laptop's manual (which should have been, as the T9300 was released 2 years before my laptop was purchased as new).