Question Is this proposed PC balanced in terms of overall price. I don't do games, more likely to attempt Kaggle challenges. Program in Python and R.

stevemaguire

Commendable
Aug 17, 2019
My PC failed a few weeks ago and I'm limping on a laptop with my old storage drive on a USB connection. I am retired and spend about six hours a day programming, photo work, and learning. I built that PC about 10 or 11 years ago. Kept the original motherboard, case, and M2 card. But everything thing else was fair game for upgrades. I expect the same treatment for the new build. Since I don't game I am willing to wait for GPU prices to be reasonable again. Here's a list from PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/steveM49/saved/#view=XjRRVn

Approximate Purchase Date: July 2022

Budget Range: $1200 - $1600 .

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Speed, graphics support for two monitors, graphics to support Adobe Photoshop (1.5 GB ram, DirectX 12 support), fast access to programs and data files, ability to impose a safe backup system. Coherence in the system: the parts fit each other, the case uses most of the MB headers and the MB has headers for the case's ports. Quiet. No need for lights.

Are you buying a monitor: No. Have two with micro HDMAI and micro DP sockets.

Parts to Upgrade: Expect to scavenge some fans, hard drives (1 TB SSD, 3 TB internal HDD, 4 TB external HDD.) Peripherals like card readers, printers, scanner, speakers, camera.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes Win 11 Pro

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon unless pcpartspicker finds a cheaper source.

Parts Preferences: Intel generation 12 looks like better value.

Overclocking: Never before so probably not.

SLI or Crossfire: No.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 59 Hz and 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz . Both 24".

Additional Comments: Will use Python and R via PyCharm Community and R Studio.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: The old one died and was getting slow.

Link from above:
PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/steveM49/saved/#view=XjRRVn

I don't want to waste money by spending too much on a part that won't have it's expensive features utilized by the rest of the system. I want it balanced (except for the GPU.)

Thanks!
Steve Maguire

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Made a few cost saving measures, but improved the GPU, storage.

DDR5 is pricey, as are the motherboards. Not quite worth it yet. Z class board for a locked CPU, not necessary. And the CPU cooler can be a little smaller as well. (You can go bigger if you want, just makes it quieter.)

Switched out for a more airflow friendly Fractal Design chassis.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700F 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor ($312.95 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK400 66.47 CFM CPU Cooler ($28.00 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B660-PLUS D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($84.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 1650 G6 4 GB Video Card ($189.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Torrent Compact ATX Mid Tower Case ($131.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM 64-bit ($139.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1181.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-12 13:45 EDT-0400