[SOLVED] Is this PSU good enough?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 28, 2020
I am not sure how to calculate the optimal PSU wattage for a system, I found some websites to help online but they do not consider overclocking.

I currently have a 350 Watt PSU

Specs are:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
GPU: GTX 1050Ti (I plan on playing games like CS:GO and Valorant which are more CPU intensive)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz
Motherboard: B450m Mortar Max
M.2 NVME- Samsung Evo 970 (TBC) (Size: TBC)
HDD: idk the specs for this but lets just say a 2TB average one
Fan: Arctic 7 X

Is this 350W PSU enough, and why? Even after researching I did not find a good way to calculate it.

I appreciate any support

Solution
What is the brand and model of your 350 watt PSU? How long has it been in service? If you need to buy a new PSU, where will you be buying from and what is your budget?
The VS350 power supply you have is really only good for a home office system and not designed to be used with a gaming video card. A corsair CX450 can do the job and represents good performance and value for a budget model. If you can afford a CX550 it will give you a bit extra for a future upgrade.

bignastyid

Titan
Why is that? Because the EVGA one is 700W, but the power rating is gold on the TXM while the rating on the EVGA one is bronze. Also, would 550W suffice overclocking my specs, and how about if I also add a gtx 1070?
Quality. The TXm is much higher quality than the EVGA BR. Higher quality components in a PSU last longer and provide better power quality, this diffenece in quality is reflected in the TXm having a 7 year warranty vs the BR's 3 yr. The TX550M will be fine for a 1070.

Nov 28, 2020
Quality. The TXm is much higher quality than the EVGA BR. Higher quality components in a PSU last longer and provide better power quality, this diffenece in quality is reflected in the TXm having a 7 year warranty vs the BR's 3 yr. The TX550M will be fine for a 1070.
What does the quality actually translate to and mean? And is it worth choosing 550W over 700W? If so, why?

I have owned a couple BR PSUs and they haven't failed me, but I know from teardowns they aren't great.

Cheap sleeve bearing fan, cheap but not terrible capacitors, no LLC, bronze not gold, non modular, its just worse in every way except wattage, and 550w is fine. In general, the BR is cheaper quality and might not last as long. The BR700 is also warrantied for 3 years VS the 7 years of the TXM, which can tell you something about the expected life expectancy.

In addition to longevity, even though the BR has more wattage, it might not handle a higher end GPU very well since it uses an older design than the TX550M.

Nov 28, 2020
I have owned a couple BR PSUs and they haven't failed me, but I know from teardowns they aren't great.

Cheap sleeve bearing fan, cheap but not terrible capacitors, no LLC, bronze not gold, non modular, its just worse in every way except wattage, and 550w is fine. In general, the BR is cheaper quality and might not last as long. The BR700 is also warrantied for 3 years VS the 7 years of the TXM, which can tell you something about the expected life expectancy.

In addition to longevity, even though the BR has more wattage, it might not handle a higher end GPU very well since it uses an older design than the TX550M.
Thank you. Do you know if this PSU is any good as someone recommended it to me?
Thermaltake Litepower 650W PSU