[SOLVED] Is this PSU sufficient for overclocking on these parts?

Baseless

Honorable
May 23, 2017
So I am currently saving up money to build my new high end gaming pc that will handle anything I throw at it at 1440p. I never cut corners on the power supply and I would just like some reassurance that the power supply I have selected for my new rig is enough to power it and then some for some overclocking that I plan on doing. I want to overclock my CPU and my ram, my ram overclocks to 3600 mhz.

Ryzen 9 3900x: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SXMZLP...olid=16EXVQFWDCX3B&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Corsair H150i Pro: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077FZPCRH/?coliid=I3GO6JANKFAZFO&colid=16EXVQFWDCX3B&psc=1
Asus ROG Crossair Viii Hero: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SZXBTNW/?coliid=IP0DB5NFIJN7R&colid=16EXVQFWDCX3B&psc=1
32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro: https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Veng...9464397&sprefix=corsair+vegena,aps,152&sr=8-1
RTX 2080 Ti: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JVGQTR...olid=16EXVQFWDCX3B&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
EVGA Supernova 850 plus P2: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010HWDOH...olid=16EXVQFWDCX3B&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Also any feedback on the quality of the parts listed whether or not I should adjust my list would be greatly appreciated.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Just get a 2X 16GB kit. I know the extra slots are there and all, but running higher frequencies and use of more than 2 dimm slots is just overall harder on the cpu's Internal Memory Controller.

What kind of case are you putting that 2080Ti in? Hopefully nothing too stuffy.

Baseless

Honorable
May 23, 2017
Just get a 2X 16GB kit. I know the extra slots are there and all, but running higher frequencies and use of more than 2 dimm slots is just overall harder on the cpu's Internal Memory Controller.

What kind of case are you putting that 2080Ti in? Hopefully nothing too stuffy.
I'm not totally deadset on the case but I'm in love with the overall aesthetic of the corsair crystal 570x.

weztmarch

Prominent
Nov 26, 2018

Unfortunately this a false yet common misconception. It's the exact same number of memory ICs for 2x16 and 4x8 which translates to zero effective difference in terms of stress on the IMC. It may be that some ICs don't spec as well compared to the others which is normal variation between memory chips, e.g. not all ICs may scale performance at the same voltage when overclocked, but the gamble is the same in either 4x8 or 2x16. What may be of greater importance for OP is whether the motherboard chosen utilizes daisy chain or t-topology trace layout; Daisy chain means stronger signal strength to 2 dimm slots (usually A2 B2 for dual channel) making 2 sticks easier to OC at higher frequency with the trade-off being subpar performance on the other 2 unpopulated slots and increased signal noise, while with a T-topology layout all trace lengths to the dimm slots are equal making it easier to stabilize an OC for 4 sticks of RAM, albeit usually at lower peak frequencies than a daisy chain layout. Check your motherboard's RAM QVL for some idea, but ultimately it's not a huge deal for 3rd gen Ryzen. Just shoot for 3600C16 or 3733c17 to maximize the FCLK, and don't go above that frequency because it begins to hinder performance.

Edit: P.S. To answer your question, an 850W Platinum PSU will be enough power for your rig, but I honestly recommend just going with 1000w no matter what anyone tells you. You will have the headroom even if you don't need it and the cost is nothing for the peace of mind it brings. We have a nearly identical setup except for differing processors and motherboards.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Unfortunately this a false yet common misconception. It's the exact same number of memory ICs for 2x16 and 4x8 which translates to zero effective difference in terms of stress on the IMC. It may be that some ICs don't spec as well compared to the others which is normal variation between memory chips, e.g. not all ICs may scale performance at the same voltage when overclocked, but the gamble is the same in either 4x8 or 2x16. What may be of greater importance for OP is whether the motherboard chosen utilizes daisy chain or t-topology trace layout; Daisy chain means stronger signal strength to 2 dimm slots (usually A2 B2 for dual channel) making 2 sticks easier to OC at higher frequency with the trade-off being subpar performance on the other 2 unpopulated slots and increased signal noise, while with a T-topology layout all trace lengths to the dimm slots are equal making it easier to stabilize an OC for 4 sticks of RAM, albeit usually at lower peak frequencies than a daisy chain layout. Check your motherboard's RAM QVL for some idea, but ultimately it's not a huge deal for 3rd gen Ryzen. Just shoot for 3600C16 or 3733c17 to maximize the FCLK, and don't go above that frequency because it begins to hinder performance.
You may have me there, but the average user isn't going to know - or bother looking into for that matter, about single rank or dual rank ICs, daisy chain or t-topology trace layout.
'For peace of mind', as you put it yourself, it's better to go with 2x 16 over 4x 8; an advanced user would've looked into this already.

Edit: P.S. To answer your question, an 850W Platinum PSU will be enough power for your rig, but I honestly recommend just going with 1000w no matter what anyone tells you. You will have the headroom even if you don't need it and the cost is nothing for the peace of mind it brings. We have a nearly identical setup except for differing processors and motherboards.
Geez...
Now YOU'VE posted a misconception: as if manufacturers DON'T make crap or subpar high wattage psus: they can, and do, and the 80 Plus rating doesn't mean jack-all.
My system would still pull more power on average than the OP's planned build, and it's going strong - 3 and a half years - on a 750w unit.

I'll give you some credit though.
I'd rather see someone using an overkill power supply regardless of the level of their build(whether it's low, med, or high), than someone assembling a PC with some crap or mediocre psu; I've seen enough of those scenarios, with a few coming back because 'this melted, that got fried, it won't turn on anymore for whatever reason,' etc.

But to say get 1000w regardless? For what, longevity or something? That's a joke.
Both of our psus have 12 years warranty, and I'm sure we'll have replaced them within that time frame.
You spent ~100USD more than me on a power supply you didn't really need for nothing really.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Without arguing.Hardware unbox did a video about 2 vs 4 ram sticks.I think they did it last week
Yeah, I saw that video.

My summary of that: there are too many bloody factors in place to always recommend 4 sticks over 2 in dual channel motherboard.
-Running Intel or Ryzen?
-It's depending on the silicon quality of the cpu's IMC.
-Motherboard quality.
-Single rank or dual rank memory?
-It's game and application specific.
-Primary and secondary timings matter.
-Is the motherboard trace layout daisy chained, or T-topology?
-Memory frequency?
-Pricing of 2 VS 4 dimms.
Did I forget anything?

Now really, all that hassle for what amounts to little to no real gain in performance? No thank you.
I'll keep recommending 2 dimms for dual channel motherboards, 4 for quad, etc.
-It's cheaper
-easier: Less load on the IMC - which also equals to slightly lower package temps - over 4 if I want to OC the memory further
-more often than not, 2 dimms can push higher frequencies and tighter timings over 4, and with less voltage too

weztmarch

Prominent
Nov 26, 2018
But to say get 1000w regardless? For what, longevity or something? That's a joke.
Both of our psus have 12 years warranty, and I'm sure we'll have replaced them within that time frame.
You spent ~100USD more than me on a power supply you didn't really need for nothing really.

Yes, 1000 watts gold 80-plus was suggested for longevity, expandability, quality, peace of mind, et al. No, dear boy, it is not a joke. Follow my advice, or do not. I lose little sleep over such matters. However, I am highly conflict-oriented and I suppose I shall debate the matter a bit further. Now, with your tiresome facetiousness set aside... In a cost-to-benefit analysis, I believe it is very difficult indeed to quantify the value and set a budget on a power supply because it is the single-most essential component for providing protection to, and adequate power for, every other component within the machine, and the computer as a whole. 80-plus certification may not mean anything to every company out there, nor may Platinum, Gold, Bronze, et al, but to some companies it definitely means better components inside, and you definitely shouldn't pinch pennies here. Frankly just buy the best quality PSU one can afford. I'd say, fractionally, it's 3rd on the list after CPU & GPU, in terms of divvying up a limited budget. I recommend at the very least 750W Gold or Platinum from a company like Seasonic. The reason I would choose Seasonic over EVGA is that EVGA power supplies historically have a higher statistical incidence of failure by comparison to Seasonic, albeit the warranty & RMA services are comparable in the case of both companies. I am speaking here from my own logic & deduction, extensive personal research and experience on the subject, and empirical observations.
I myself use a heavily overclocked 9900K, which albeit an obvious difference from OP's 3900X, practically every other aspect of our rigs are identical. My advice is there, take it or leave it. Awfully presumptuous of you to presuppose the cost of my components though. Perhaps they fell off the back of a truck, one by one? In any event, I've heard this same trite and cliched 'overkill' script before. Lastly, I do see that you yourself are sporting a Titanium Prime power supply from Seasonic unless my eyes have deceived me, no?

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Unfortunately this a false yet common misconception. It's the exact same number of memory ICs for 2x16 and 4x8 which translates to zero effective difference in terms of stress on the IMC.

No, you are incorrect. This absolutely was a thing with AMD FX Processors. However I will give you with current Intel and AMD processors it is less... with a BUT. The BUT is that test have shown 4 DIMMS often cannot reach the same frequency as 2 which is an issue if you're going on the higher end of clock rates. And secondly as the aforementioned hardware unboxed video has shown, there are a LOT more factors that go into this than to be able to give a black and white answer like you have.

Yes, 1000 watts gold 80-plus ideally for longevity, expandability, quality, peace of mind, et al. No, dear boy, it is not a joke.

The funny thing is I agree with everything you wrote, about quality PSU's and so on. But then you throw 1000w in there. There are Many Many good PSUs at 550, 650 , 750, etc power ranges, wattage has 0 to do with quality, 0. If the system needs 600w to run properly, sure a bit of headroom is a smart idea, but 400w of it? That is a ridiculous waste of money and poor advice. You otherwise gave some good information here, but forcing 1000w out there is perplexing, because even with normal degradation there is no way a high end PSU is going to lose 400w of capacity over its warranty period (in fact Seasonic's Warranty is for 24x7 operation over 12 years), so there is no longevity concerns. As for quality, its the same platform with less wattage. Expandability? For what? Consumption has been on a lower scale as new parts come out, whats he going to do, SLI? That tech is all but dead in gaming.

Now I'm going to throw on my moderator hat here. The tone of your post towards him was VERY condescending and on the border of an issue. You may feel free to debate all you want here, but you will do it with respect and kindness, or you won't be debating anymore.

weztmarch

Prominent
Nov 26, 2018
No, you are incorrect. This absolutely was a thing with AMD FX Processors. However I will give you with current Intel and AMD processors it is less... with a BUT. The BUT is that test have shown 4 DIMMS often cannot reach the same frequency as 2 which is an issue if you're going on the higher end of clock rates. And secondly as the aforementioned hardware unboxed video has shown, there are a LOT more factors that go into this than to be able to give a black and white answer like you have.

The funny thing is I agree with everything you wrote, about quality PSU's and so on. But then you throw 1000w in there. There are Many Many good PSUs at 550, 650 , 750, etc power ranges, wattage has 0 to do with quality, 0. If the system needs 600w to run properly, sure a bit of headroom is a smart idea, but 400w of it? That is a ridiculous waste of money and poor advice. You otherwise gave some good information here, but forcing 1000w out there is perplexing, because even with normal degradation there is no way a high end PSU is going to lose 400w of capacity over its warranty period (in fact Seasonic's Warranty is for 24x7 operation over 12 years), so there is no longevity concerns. As for quality, its the same platform with less wattage. Expandability? For what? Consumption has been on a lower scale as new parts come out, whats he going to do, SLI? That tech is all but dead in gaming.

Now I'm going to throw on my moderator hat here. The tone of your post towards him was VERY condescending and on the border of an issue. You may feel free to debate all you want here, but you will do it with respect and kindness, or you won't be debating anymore.

Firstly, you clearly didn't read my entire post. You just agreed with me and said nothing contradictory to my statement. I agree 2x16 is likely to clock to a higher frequency, while 4x8 is more likely to clock multiple sticks to a stable frequency, but not necessarily as high (as in they will scale more evenly with voltage/freq curve because of equal trace lengths). Secondly, I don't care if you don't like my tone. You may be a mod, but that means nothing to everyone else. Are you a proponent of censorship simply because you don't like something? You can read into it, but I said nothing explicitly rude or distasteful. I didn't curse. Playing ethics teacher too, eh? People are going to say things you don't like. That's Life. You can try to censor it, but it won't change hearts and minds. You are just fueling the opposition. Veiled threats from a shadowy figure.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Firstly, you clearly didn't read my entire post. You just agreed with me and said nothing contradictory to my statement. I literally said 2x16 is more likely to clock to a higher frequency, while 4x8 is more likely to clock multiple sticks (as in they will scale more evenly with voltage/freq curve). I don't care if you don't like my tone either. You may be a mod, but that means nothing to everyone else. I can see now you're a proponent of censorship. Playing authoritarian ethics master too, eh? People are going to say things you don't like. That's Life. You can try to censor it, but it won't change hearts and minds. You are just fueling the opposition.

I haven't censored a thing? Where did I censor? Please point it out to me. Your posts are still there in their Entirety. Oh except for the rude comments that I see you now editing out. Yeah we keep a record of everything.

If you can't understand that when having with a discussion with someone you say thing like "no dear boy" calling someone a "plebe", that you don't understand how rude and condescending that is or how it completely invalidates any good argument you may have.

So you may feel free to believe what you'd like. I don't really care. What i do care about is that people can come to this forum and have a discussion without being insulted or attacked. If you feel you must speak in that manner you will be shown the door. Period.

weztmarch

Prominent
Nov 26, 2018
I haven't censored a thing? Where did I censor? Please point it out to me. Your posts are still there in their Entirety. Oh except for the rude comments that I see you now editing out. Yeah we keep a record of everything.

If you can't understand that when having with a discussion with someone you say thing like "no dear boy" calling someone a "plebe", that you don't understand how rude and condescending that is or how it completely invalidates any good argument you may have.

So you may feel free to believe what you'd like. I don't really care. What i do care about is that people can come to this forum and have a discussion without being insulted or attacked. If you feel you must speak in that manner you will be shown the door. Period.

Actually I'm just editing my post. I always do that. I post first, then read it and revise it perpetually. Force of habit from years of writing. I write by stream of conscioussness. Might be an ADHD and OCD synergistic behavior, but I don't speculate any more. I just do and I don't care. Judge away. Lower the guillotine. Do your worst, master of puppets.

Edit: Employing phrases like 'dear boy' is an excellent maneuver for any debate. They are provocative. Look how much they've distracted you, and you weren't even the intended target or part of the argument!

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Actually I'm just revising my post. I always do that. Force of habit from years of writing. I don't care. Judge away. Lower the guillotine. Do your worst, master of puppets.

Revising your post and conveniently removing all the insults that you had in there 40 minutes after I called you out on it. Got it.

Call me whatever you want, I'm just doing a job here, that I volunteer to do. I'm judging nothing, anyone whom reads your prior now edited post could see it very clearly.

Now lets stop taking this post off topic, if you have a problem with anything I've said feel free to send me a private message, or email the site management at community@tomshardware.com

weztmarch

Prominent
Nov 26, 2018
Revising your post and conveniently removing all the insults that you had in there 40 minutes after I called you out on it. Got it.

Call me whatever you want, I'm just doing a job here, that I volunteer to do. I'm judging nothing, anyone whom reads your prior now edited post could see it very clearly.

Yes, yes. I make mistakes all the time when I write. I said I was revising, which means I thought better of my comment. I'm not omnipotent, omnisicient or foolproof. I get angry. I 'condescend.' I make mistakes when I write, then I read my statement, and fix it where I can in order to be more effective in an argument. Also, I have nothing against you simply being a Mod for the sake of being a Mod. Mods can be useful at times.

Now lets stop taking this post off topic, if you have a problem with anything I've said feel free to send me a private message, or email the site management at community@tomshardware.com

Agreed. I'm tired of this game.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, 1000 watts gold 80-plus was suggested for longevity
Ok, let's just scratch the 80 plus rating, because again, it doesn't mean anything until a legit reviewer actually tests these things.
Now, where's the longevity for the OP's build with a quality 750w VS 1000, and they both have the same warranty period? They're both still running after 10 years... waste of money there that could've been saved or gone towards an extra storage drive or something.

expandability
A whole 250w?
I could SLI - not worth it - a 2nd 1080Ti with that much, and still have headroom left. Anything else I may choose to add to my PC won't add nowhere near as much as another gpu. A good 750w is still fine. 1000w still a waste for the OP.

Quantity does not equal quality. Next.

peace of mind
Plenty of headroom with a good 750w, can add more storage later, some LED strips, long warranty, reviews are good... why waste more on 1000? Multi-gpu is a dying breed, save for the professional market.

[sigh]To think I'm going to fall into this one... How do you even know this? I never assume anyone's gender; always use gender neutral nouns and pronouns.

Now, with your tiresome facetiousness set aside...
I called you out for seriously recommending a 1000w unit - I was hoping you were joking - clearly you aren't; dead serious... Ok, got it... and that one remark makes me facetious?
Congrats for having a wider vocabulary than me, I guess? But then most of the people here probably do anyways... Oh well. Next.

Awfully presumptuous of you to presuppose the cost of my components though... Perhaps they fell off the back of a truck, one by one?
Just the power supply - that is what this is about, right? At the time I bought mine, and the current pricing for yours, you spent up to 100USD more than I did.
'Fell off a truck'? What happened to quality? You sure would've sent that unit back if the packaging showed signs of damage... and you don't seem the type who would even look at a refurbished psu.

In any event, I've heard this same trite and cliched 'overkill' script before.
It is when spending effectively, or more than one really needs to...
One could either save that difference, or spend it elsewhere, where it'll be more useful.

Lastly, I do see that you yourself are sporting a Titanium Prime power supply from Seasonic unless my eyes have deceived me, no?
Yeah, 750w of it. Pretty darn good unit; can handle my overclocked 7820X and 1080Ti just fine... Which, by the way...
[Facetious]If put side-by-side-by side, both of our setups pull more power than the OP's with my system pulling just as much power as yours does, and still having some headroom available for expansion... on just 750w.
All 1000w would've done for me is SLI, and I don't need it; it has too many downsides.

Now lets stop taking this post off topic...
Sorry.