[SOLVED] is this refurbished pc a decent home for Windows XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Hi, so still on my quest to have an XP pc before Christmas.

found this pc at a clearance sale. The price is approximately 52 USD if the peso is converted.

here are the specs.

cpu: i3-4150
ram: 4 GB
hdd: 500 GB
intel graphics 4000

the store is near enough to my house, so could go there personally to check and pick up the rig.

question: is this pc good enough to put Windows XP into, and play classic games?

my only worry is the case is SFF, so might have problems fitting a gpu in. But I'm thinking of talking to the seller if we could change the case.

Last edited:
Solution
That platform would be good for Windows 7 and above. You might want to look at something like a 1st Gen Intel platform or a Core 2 Duo if you want to really go back to Windows Xp(not assuming you want to go Virtual Machine).

Lutfij

Titan
That platform would be good for Windows 7 and above. You might want to look at something like a 1st Gen Intel platform or a Core 2 Duo if you want to really go back to Windows Xp(not assuming you want to go Virtual Machine).

Reactions: Tac 25
Solution
Full XP compatibility ended with 2nd gen 2xxx series Intels. 3xxx CPUs also work fine on XP in 6x chipsets (eg like P67, Z68) provided you weren't using the IGP, and even 7x (like Z77) if you aren't going to use the native USB either. You'd just need a GPU and USB card with XP drivers but note you cannot boot a USB stick off of a USB card so this isn't a perfect solution.

That 4th gen 4xxx series is not compatible with XP as there are no XP drivers for too many things.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
hummmmm... thinking about this again. The two other pc here in the house, I actually have a second gen intel and a core 2 quad pc, both fully functional here. However, cannot use them as XP pc, because too many important files already in both, which risk getting messed up if I would convert anything to an XP environment. The safer path is still getting another old machine... that is either a core 2 or 2nd gen or lower intel.

I keep windows7 and XP on different drives for my retro pc.
That way I can boot either on the same machine without worries.
Throw in another drive.
Install XP and update.
Then use EasyBCD to add a boot option to your newer OS boot menu.
You can have several operating systems on one machine ,just keep their programs on the same drive as the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS