Is this resonance?

agustinromero

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
hey guys,

So i have the following problem. I have recently built a system in a corsair 100r and i foudn it was too loud. So i tarted playing around with it to see what was making a constant "huuummm" and found that it was my harddrive cage vibrating.

Took out the drive and tried it outside and the noice was much much quiter. Its a WD caviar blue 1tb 7200rpm.

I tried a WD caviar green drive and the vibration was almost gone.

Can this be some sort of resonance with the 7200rpm? The noice change was really dramatic.

Would using a caviar green drive for gaming be really bad?

thanks a lot!

Solution

At idle time, WD Greens actually spin down to 0, in an effort to save power (Be Green!)

But yes...it might have been resonance in the case.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
slower drives will be quieter more than likely, but a good mounting system can get rid of noise. An SSD will be absolutely silent.

Slower drives are probably fine for gaming, the only time the drive is really accessed is when you load a map. Everything else is usually cached in RAM.

agustinromero

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016

Mounting is tooless. Anyway i have added rubber to it so that it fits really tight. I'm sure it is not loose!

I know that caviar greens run slower, at 5400rpm. So my guess was that the speed change stopped my cage from resonating. Is this possible?

agustinromero

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016

Okey so my guess could be right. Is there any way to deal with this? would changing
to a slower drive really hurt performance?

I do have an SSD for booting so that wont be an issue

USAFRet

Titan

At idle time, WD Greens actually spin down to 0, in an effort to save power (Be Green!)

But yes...it might have been resonance in the case.

Solution