Question is this rtx 3050 worth the upgrade?

Chriss Angeh

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015
hello there, im currently using a gtx 980 reference edition, and i would like to get some opinions on the matter if this would be a good upgrade or not from the current card im using.

View: https://imgur.com/a/1GztOY4

this is the single fan version of the phoenix asus edition, my aim was ofc towards the dual fan but i cannot justify the current price for that other model tbh, its almost 100$ more.
bare in mind that im aiming for 1080p gaming nothing above that but with good fps, i saw the difference between the rtx 3050 and 3060 and the difference in performance doesnt seem to be quite high to justify this one either, now if i was aiming for the ti version would be a different story but its out of my range of budget.

i play a lot of jrpg games, action rpg, no shooters.

hopefully i can get some good opinions here.

Chriss Angeh

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015
If you went with an RTX 3060, that would be a big step above what you currently have. Make and model of your PSU? How old is the PSU in your build?
getting the rtx 3060 its like 200$ more cant really say its worth the price tbh but thats just my opinion, according to some benchmarks i saw the diff between fps are around 20 or so at best.

psu: xpg core reactor 750w gold

Chriss Angeh

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015
well im mostly trying to upgrade due to already being 2/3 gens behind of what we currently have, and games are gonna be more demanding every time now, im not exactly interested in RTX, i am interested in dlss and encoding for streaming.

if i get the chance to get a 3060 is that worth it then? but if not considering what i stated, is this okay too for my uses i mean.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
well im mostly trying to upgrade due to already being 2/3 gens behind of what we currently have, and games are gonna be more demanding every time now, im not exactly interested in RTX, i am interested in dlss and encoding for streaming.

if i get the chance to get a 3060 is that worth it then? but if not considering what i stated, is this okay too for my uses i mean.
The 3060 would run anything at 1080p and some entry-level 1440p. It would be a good upgrade, but you could wait a month or so for a better price.