is this server over kill ?

Solution

That build is far from ideal and certainly a step backwards (no it is not the same power in multicore...plus CS/GO is not a well threaded games so more cores, don't help). Yes it is cheaper but by the end of the year the power bill will make up the difference, easily. Plus you basically recommended an inferior CPU architecture with horrible power efficiency. That is a step backwards not forward. I highly encourage the OP...

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

Nah an HDD should be fine. SSDs actually have a limited number of read writes from day one with the way flash works. So considering your only running an SSD your pagefile will do just as much damage or more damage then an HDD would have done being on 24/7. I have HDDs in my server from literally 10 years ago still running strong. Yes you get failures but you also get plenty of drives that last a very long time. I would go with a nice nas based HDD as mentioned for less cost.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

That build is far from ideal and certainly a step backwards (no it is not the same power in multicore...plus CS/GO is not a well threaded games so more cores, don't help). Yes it is cheaper but by the end of the year the power bill will make up the difference, easily. Plus you basically recommended an inferior CPU architecture with horrible power efficiency. That is a step backwards not forward. I highly encourage the OP to go back to their build or if they really want more threads to consider a ryzen based build. Going with an FX build FOR ANYTHING is ill advised.

Solution

_MasterG_

Prominent
May 5, 2017

atomic is Not global offensive is condition zero xD, thats why i recomment that. Even a core 2 quad will work well

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

Not sure Why My mind said CS GO but that doesn't change much of anything. Taking the CPU IPC backwards is not at all helpful, if anything being an older CS title single thread IPC would be more important then multi-thread (which even with multi-thread included the i3 beats the FX CPU). And again the FX unit still consumes way more power. As stated the OP would make up the difference in a year of use and likely less, easy. I am not saying an FX buuild won't work, I am saying it is a step backwards that's short term savings won't overcome in long term cost. It's not a machine I would want to run for a server of any type. Now if the OP has zero plans to pay the electricity bill..then an argument can be made on the cost front but it still doesn't change the IPC difference.

_MasterG_

Prominent
May 5, 2017

Thats a so good idea, Dell Optiplex are amazing

No doubt. For example, at our local microcenter, my parents needed a system for home. Got them a HP business class system with an i5 2400 and 8gb of ram, as well as 500gb ssd for 329.99.

Check this out 200 + 22.97 shipping

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-990-Quad-Core-Professional-Refurbished/dp/B01N9V6QLU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1504734175&sr=1-1&keywords=computer&refinements=p_n_feature_fourteen_browse-bin%3A2057441011%2Cp_n_operating_system_browse-bin%3A12035945011%7C17004927011%2Cp_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A2289793011%7C2289792011

If you can't get that one, maybe this would suffice for 229 and free shipping

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Performance-Processor-Professional-Certified/dp/B01M4MX7QA/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1504734175&sr=1-2&keywords=computer&refinements=p_n_feature_fourteen_browse-bin%3A2057441011%2Cp_n_operating_system_browse-bin%3A12035945011%7C17004927011%2Cp_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A2289793011%7C2289792011

Here's one on newegg, may just want to swap the hard drive up to something bigger.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883159688

But hey for the money, when you get the OS, an i5 and 8gb of ram, cheaper than you can build it. That's why I got the refurb for my parents, it was a better system than I could build for the same money. Microcenter seems to be a bit better priced imo if you have one nearby.