Question Is this setup enough for 4090 or 4080/4080 Super?

May 24, 2023
Hello.

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my GPU. I'm pretty sure i should wait for the 4080 Super to come out before upgrading. I bought my current card new many years ago, and still servers me will, but poor one is a little outdated by now.

Is 4090 even a possibility with my set up, or i won't have enough power for it?
If 4090 is not good enough, i assume 4080 Super should be fine when it comes out, as i guess it should be similar to 4080 power wise, and i think my set up can take that? :)

Also, which "brand" is prefered/better? My current one is ASUS and it served me well, but i fancy MSI as well, price wise unsure if there is much of a difference.

My current build is this:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Video Card: Asus STRIX GAMING GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB Video Card
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME TX-1000 1000 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Hello.

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my GPU. I'm pretty sure i should wait for the 4080 Super to come out before upgrading. I bought my current card new many years ago, and still servers me will, but poor one is a little outdated by now.

Is 4090 even a possibility with my set up, or i won't have enough power for it?
If 4090 is not good enough, i assume 4080 Super should be fine when it comes out, as i guess it should be similar to 4080 power wise, and i think my set up can take that? :)

Also, which "brand" is prefered/better? My current one is ASUS and it served me well, but i fancy MSI as well, price wise unsure if there is much of a difference.

My current build is this:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Video Card: Asus STRIX GAMING GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB Video Card
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME TX-1000 1000 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Looks good but 4080 super is no slouch neither. I'm not sure why would 4090 be needed at all except for "glory" to say you have it.

May 24, 2023
Looks good but 4080 super is no slouch neither. I'm not sure why would 4090 be needed at all except for "glory" to say you have it.

i'm mainly looking for a card that will last me a while, similar to my 1080ti. My main usage is PCVR streaming to a Quest 3, though as i know 4080 S and 4090 should be pretty similar when it comes to encoding, and besides that should not make a huge difference?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Looks to be in Tier A, under the 'low priority' section, but it's got a 1 and an 8 next to it:
[1] Units experiencing tripping issues with high transient power draw GPUs like AMD Vega, 6900 XT and Nvidia RTX3080/3090. Generally fixed in newer batches.
[8] Seasonic PRIME based units experience shutdowns with RTX3080/3090 (and possibly RX6900 XT) GPUs. The cause is not the OCP tripping but a PSU design flaw as evident by the PSU not latching off on shutdown and 1000W+ models being affected too. Doesn’t manifest in 100% cases as it’s also dependent on motherboard model and GPU OC. Seasonic provides a replacement 24-pin ATX cable to fix this via support. Appears to be fixed post 2021 although there’s no official confirmation from Seasonic.

FYI, 40 series also has high transient power draw, but it is less bad compared to 30 series. So it looks like some of this depends on when your unit was produced.
I guess none of this really answers the first couple of questions, as it looks like a 'maybe, maybe not', when the production date of the psu is unknown.

I'd say there's no clear winner.
There's going to be some major bias here and there. Asus supposedly has garbage customer service, but anyone could say that about any of them, 'cause of ONE poor experience; the bad is more easily recalled than the good.
A brand can slip up one generation/year, and get their act together the next.

i'm mainly looking for a card that will last me a while, similar to my 1080ti.
I wish you best of luck with that, as Nvidia wouldn't want a repeat of the 10 series anytime soon, if ever.

May 24, 2023
Looks to be in Tier A, under the 'low priority' section, but it's got a 1 and an 8 next to it:
[1] Units experiencing tripping issues with high transient power draw GPUs like AMD Vega, 6900 XT and Nvidia RTX3080/3090. Generally fixed in newer batches.
[8] Seasonic PRIME based units experience shutdowns with RTX3080/3090 (and possibly RX6900 XT) GPUs. The cause is not the OCP tripping but a PSU design flaw as evident by the PSU not latching off on shutdown and 1000W+ models being affected too. Doesn’t manifest in 100% cases as it’s also dependent on motherboard model and GPU OC. Seasonic provides a replacement 24-pin ATX cable to fix this via support. Appears to be fixed post 2021 although there’s no official confirmation from Seasonic.

FYI, 40 series also has high transient power draw, but it is less bad compared to 30 series. So it looks like some of this depends on when your unit was produced.
I guess none of this really answers the first couple of questions, as it looks like a 'maybe, maybe not', when the production date of the psu is unknown.
I see, interesting, thank you, i did not know that. Unfortunately i have no clue how i can check the manufacture date of the PSU, but it was purchased last year June.

'd say there's no clear winner.
There's going to be some major bias here and there. Asus supposedly has garbage customer service, but anyone could say that about any of them, 'cause of ONE poor experience; the bad is more easily recalled than the good.
A brand can slip up one generation/year, and get their act together the next.
Hm, i see. Thanks.

I wish you best of luck with that, as Nvidia wouldn't want a repeat of the 10 series anytime soon, if ever.
Hah, yeah... that is unfortunately true most likely.