[SOLVED] Is this single link or dual link DVI-D?

Solution
Port is DVI-D dual link, but it's possible, it is only single link electrically connected.

If manufacturer says "single link", then it's single link.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Look at the port on the card. Are there 18 pins or 24 pins? 18 means single link. 24 means dual link.
Refer back to your Wiki link under the connections section, Third image down is DVI-D single-link. Fourth image down is DVI-D Dual-link.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: mmp09

mmp09

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
Thanks. It's 24+1. So why do the official specs on manufacturer site mention it as a single link dvi-d? That's what I am confused. Is that simply mentioned in error?

Thanks. It's 24+1. So why do the official specs on manufacturer site mention it as a single link dvi-d? That's what I am confused. Is that simply mentioned in error?
They use DVI connector that appears to have all the pins, even if some of the pins aren't used, because it's cheaper to stock one kind of connector and it prevents a problem where someone can't use a dual-link cable even though that's perfectly fine to use.

picture on site show single link dvi
This one?
cPCa9tW5TgY2gqYK_setting_xxx_0_90_end_800.png

That's a dual-link port.

Reactions: cl42

jasonf2

Distinguished
For 1080 at lower refresh single link works just fine. If memory is serving dual link can only go up to 2560x1600 at 60hz so no 4k there either. The pins are there, but I would bet against board connectivity.

Edit: I went back and looked at Wikipedia. It looks like (3840 × 2400) @ 30 Hz is possible under dual. Sorry it has been a while since I have had to use a white cable for anything.

Last edited:

mmp09

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
Ok..so in principle as per the structure of the port it's Dual link but it's possible that internally it's electrically connected as single link. Interesting! Thanks all. Let me just check with Asus support as well and then I will update here. (Chances are Asus representative will look in to the same page and say single link though!!) Thanks again.

mmp09

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
The question now, is whether or not the center pins are actually wired.

-Wolf sends
That's what I need to find out. Since the pin-out if for dual link why do official specs say single link? So probably (I hope) Asus tech support might have answers.
I do not have any monitor that can support > 1080 so I believe physical test for now is ruled out.

That's what I need to find out. Since the pin-out if for dual link why do official specs say single link? So probably (I hope) Asus tech support might have answers.
I do not have any monitor that can support > 1080 so I believe physical test for now is ruled out.
The two main reasons to use a Dual-Link DVI port despite wiring it up for single link are:
  • Less kinds of parts to stock. It's much easier on logistics if you don't have to worry about having another kind of port. Just use the same port everyone else is.
  • It lets anyone use a DVI-D cable, regardless if the cable is a single-link or dual-link cable. If the connector was physically single link, it makes it incompatible with dual-link cables, even though they'll work perfectly fine

Reactions: mmp09

mmp09

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
nvidia Specs here say it's single link GeForce GT 1030 | Specifications | GeForce (nvidia.com)

The reason I am investigating is that various seller sites on amazon and other places are providing conflicting product details. Some say single others say dual, the port looks like dual but now it's clear that it must be wired for single. So Asus product page specs should be valid. I have posted a query to them, let's see when they respond. Thanks all.

mmp09

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
Finally a few days ago I wrote to Asus Tech Support. The first level of support team did not have any answer to my query. They wrote back saying they have forwarded the query to some tech experts in Asus. After 3 more days finally they confirmed that it's a Single Link. @SkyNetRising is right. Physical port is dual link but the signal is single link. So whatever is written on Asus product page is correct. It's not in error!