Is this temperature causing my computer to shut off?

nissan200sxftw

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017
My computer switches off whenever I log into a game, for example, I can log into Runescape and sit in the lobby and my computer will be fine, but as soon as I go into a world my computer will switch off instantly, this also happens when I play Aion.

I can play on min. graphics, though at random times my computer will end up turning off.

I am asking are these temperatures causing this issue?

These are the temperatures I get while being idle on Rs.

https://imgur.com/a/LaH8D

Also, what will I need to do to fix this?

Thanks!

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
Yes, your computer powers down if you reach 72.6°C on the processor. Chech the cooler contact with the processor lid. Reapply the thermal paste and if that does not change the situation buy an aftermarket cooler. You get decent cooling performance for $30.
Let us know your budget, we are happy to recommend you coolers. Or just read into this comparison.
Cryorig H5 and H7, Cooler master 212s series and be quiet! Pure Rock are popular budget products for the job.

nissan200sxftw

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017

Thanks for the reply, I'll be getting thermal paste on Monday to try this out, if this doesn't work I'll get back to you, also budget isn't really an issue, rather not get anything too expensive. Thanks once again!

nissan200sxftw

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017

Hey,

I ended up taking the computer to the place I had bought the computer from, told the person about the issue, and he had said I needed a new system completely. I had told him that the system shuts off whenever I put up the graphics slightly.

He responded with; that I need a new system and that my current graphics card isn't compatible, he pointed out a new system $1.3k along with a Radeon MSI graphic card.
I even told him that we put in the graphic card years ago and we had no issue.

The reason I took it in is because the computer the fan is making a rumbling noise.

The guy didn't exactly help with the rumbling noise. Should I still go ahead and try out thermal paste? if not what other options do I have?

Here are my specs.

Intel Core i5 2300 @2.80GHz
Geforce GTX 650Ti

If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks for the help.

take your case outside, blast away the dust in your case with those air dusters (canned compressed air). especially in between the fins.

nissan200sxftw

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017

I've done this also, didn't seem to do anything

If that's the case, i would suggest changing your CPU cooler to a budget aftermarket like the ones suggested above.

nissan200sxftw

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017

I moved around the cords, and one of them was in the way of the fan, though at random times the powersupply makes weird noises at times.

use a small piece of tape to secure the wires, was the fan running at a reasonable speeds? could be a dying cooling fan

nissan200sxftw

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017

At various times the powersupply plays up by making some weird noise, I used to have another issue where the computer wouldn't turn on but that no longer happens, and I'm still having the issue where the computer turns off when playing some games

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
All right. There is no need to spend over a thousand for a completely new system. But you have to read a little and change some parts. You find numerous videos on the internet about how to replace a cpu cooler or a power supply. Here is the manual of a good coooler: http://www.coolermaster.com/xresserver01-DLFILE-P1302180416de94-F171012000366a4.html
And here you can read about the power supply swaping https://www.pcworld.com/article/2924378/replace-your-pcs-heart-how-to-install-a-power-supply-in-your-computer.html
also
http://www.dummies.com/computers/pcs/how-to-replace-your-desktop-pcs-power-supply/

You can get a good quality unit like the Corsair CX 450 for about $50, and the cpu coolers mentioned above are also reliable.

Once you replace those components your PC will be more silent and run cooler. Insufficient power can lead to problems like powering down while gaming and under load also not switching on. As the costs of a new system is high, I recommend you to give it a try and fix your PC! If you need any further help, don´t be shy to ask!

nissan200sxftw

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017

Hey, I ended up replacing the thermal paste but sadly the issue still occurs. Tomorrow I am planning on removing the GPU, check all of the cords and see if I can clean it further, if the issue still persists would it be better to replace the power supply first or the CPU?

Thanks.

nissan200sxftw

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017

I had taken everything out, I tried the PC without my graphics card and it works fine while playing games except, Im getting terrible FPS, also the power supply continues to make weird noises. NOTE; it is not the CPU fan, the noise is coming directly from the power supply.

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018

Knowing that, it seems like your power supply is on its last legs. Forget the CPU cooler.
Get a decent power supply! Get something like these:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139146&cm_re=corsair_cx_450w-_-17-139-146-_-Product
Or just use this trier list:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
Your processor will shut off at tjmax which is 98 to 106celsius so shuttdowns wasnt from that. Also there will be thermal throttling after 85-90c is reached.
I presume these temps from picture are from under load? If these are idle temperatures then it can reach 100c for sure under load but if you where benchmarking while taking this pic then it wasnt cause of temperature.

Gpu temperature can also skyrocket when example playing you should test, first run superposition benchmark on 1080p high and keep hwmonitor backround, then check what was maximum temperature for your graphics card. Then download prime95 and start blend benchmark with default settings, keep hwmonitor and look temperatures while doing this on core 1 to 4, if it exeed 90c then abort.

One vote from me also for replacing power supply aswell. what model do you have now

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
Actually one time my old desktop pc (which had i5-650 its first gen lga1156 cpu stock) fan stopped working completely and nothing was cooling cpu for some time until i realized it when opening game it started freezing. I exit game and look realtemp which show cpu temperature at around 105-115c for the cores which where thermal throttling still no shuttdown. After replacing stock fan with working one processor lasted for one more year working good. I just replaced whole desktop pc after that since it was outdated.

Really no idea what is shutddown temperature for these first to 3rd gen intel processors, i read tjmax is around 100c but i guess shuttdown temperature is way higher at 120c+

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. Shutdown is a last resort and only the cpu determines when that is. First it'll throttle back. That includes not only dropping speeds, but also current and voltages. It'll keep trying to do that. Only when that absolutely fails and the cpu is throttled to the point of instability will you get shutdown.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. Shutdown is a last resort and only the cpu determines when that is. First it'll throttle back. That includes not only dropping speeds, but also current and voltages. It'll keep trying to do that. Only when that absolutely fails and the cpu is throttled to the point of instability will you get shutdown.

Temps in the 70s are fine, especially for Sandy's as they use soldered lids, vrs Ivy-Bridge+ which went to the abysmal paste jobs.

Some reasons for crashes are drivers, even missing or corrupt DX. Some reasons are psu related.

I'd start, first thing, go into windows event viewer and look for the Critical Errors, can't miss them, they are Red Flagged. That'll give you a clue where to start, if not an exact reason.

The only thing that should make any noise in a psu is the fan whirling around. Any other type noise (like the mentioned terrible noises) means there's an issue. If it's the fan, it's probable that the bearings are worn out, which will cause the fan to spin slower, which causes the psu to get hotter than normal for the load. Many psus (especially cheap ones) don't work well when hot, as in above 30°C. Since even idle can easy see 30°C in a psu, cheap psus tend to degrade fast under pressure like high loads.

If buying new hardware, first thing to replace is the psu. Just don't buy a piece of junk because it's cheap. Recommend a Seasonic S/M12-II 520w or Corsair CXM 450.

nissan200sxftw

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017

The screenshot was taken while i had nothing running, I've ran benchmark though half way through my computer turns off, as soon as it says "INFO: Bench NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti @(G225HQ) on display(1) = main"

My current psu https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ATX-POWERSUPPLY-BRAND-NEW-550W-P4-SATA-WARRANTY-/351624897632?hash=item51de7a2460

nissan200sxftw

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017

I've had this computer for about 6 years, so i'm guessing it is on its last leg. I went into event viewer and had found this one; "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." No other information.

Also these 'new' power supplies don't exactly fit in my case, no matter how I were to place it in, that's another problem I have. This is what I'm using; https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ATX-POWERSUPPLY-BRAND-NEW-550W-P4-SATA-WARRANTY-/351624897632?hash=item51de7a2460

nissan200sxftw

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017

There isn't a lot of room in my case, so it'd be hard to place those ones in, the fans are on top, the one i have is on the back, and I'm unsure how it'd go if i were to face the fan down towards the other components (not well i pressume) not to mention the cords too and the connections. Though I might go ahead and buy this one, and hope it all works out.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ATX-POWERSUPPLY-BRAND-NEW-550W-P4-SATA-WARRANTY-/351624897632?hash=item51de7a2460

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The psu can be mounted in any direction. If your case is solid on the bottom, the fan mounts upwards, if there's a fan grill on the bottom, the psu can mount fan down.

The problem withmany of those uber cheap psus is the guts. There's simply no real circuitry in them. As a consequence you get very bad output levels, which under stress will end up causing deterioration of other components, much instability of OS and games etc. Because of lack of any real quality control, quality of build, or really anything to the psu, you also get no protective circuitry. Honestly, those cheapo psus are not worth buying and using as paperweights.
https://youtu.be/f6snWfd1v7M

ATX psus are a standard size in certain range, there are smaller case designs, such as the Corsair CXM. If your case fits an ATX psu, it'll fit an ATX or SFX psu (with adapter plate). If the case fits SFX it'll fit SFX, which is smaller.