[SOLVED] Is this the normal shutdown sound a Seagate Barracuda HD makes?

Newb888

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
It only happens when I shut down Windows. Should I go into the bios and shut down from there, it's not present. However, I had the same harsh sound about 6 years ago with another Seagate connected via a dock. This HDD is brand new , unused.

The audio file is here: https://gofile.io/?c=GmmM8z

Solution
It sounded exceptionally loud, I'd just assumed you'd boosted the audio.

Drives 'clicking' off certainly is normal, from active.... It's parking the head etc... But if the drive is idle, or it's very loud, there may well be a problem.

IMO, vendors are more likely to suggest RMA than anything else. They may well receive it, confirm it's fine & send it right back to you. Now, of course, if there is a problem, then RMA it (or return it to the retailer if it's still new)

Newb888

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
Thanks for the reply. It certainly sounds much louder than in the audio clip. None of my other drives like WD, Toshiba and Hitachi have ever sounded like this on this same PC.

Here's the other thing too. I think the sound might be normal for Seagate drives. I sent in the same recording to Seagate and they told me the sound is absolutely NOT normal. They want me to RMA it. My dilemma is I'd have to pay the shipping to do so which I would rather not. I asked them again if this (sound) was normal and the response again was no.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It sounded exceptionally loud, I'd just assumed you'd boosted the audio.

Drives 'clicking' off certainly is normal, from active.... It's parking the head etc... But if the drive is idle, or it's very loud, there may well be a problem.

IMO, vendors are more likely to suggest RMA than anything else. They may well receive it, confirm it's fine & send it right back to you. Now, of course, if there is a problem, then RMA it (or return it to the retailer if it's still new)

Solution