Question Is this the sound of a dying HDD ?

Mar 25, 2021
So a few weeks ago I ran a quick benchmark on my whole system and noticed 1 of my Hard Drives (Both of them are Toshiba 1TB) was WAY below on speeds than the second one even though they are the same model. I put it down to the fact that one of them is almost full and didn't mind it.

Two days ago or so though I started noticing a rattle from my PC. At first I thought its a bad bearing on a fan considering that sounded like it because I had the problem before.
However now I notice I hear the sound mainly when for example writing or reading something to that specific drive. Sound doesn't happen 100% of the time, sometimes its less loud and other times its pretty bad.

At 1 or 2 points I basically heard a pretty loud high pitched sound or whatever which leads me to believe it is probably getting scratched inside. However that only happens when I launch 1 specific game ?

Thing is the sound isn't that loud and usually the store I buy my parts from won't take it back for warranty even though its been less than 2 years.
Files on it aren't that important, it's mainly games and some other stuff I have put on my second drive already incase the worst happens.

Can anyone give shed some light on this sound ? Mainly the rattle throughout the whole thing and also the high pitched noise towards the end ?
Thank you in advance.

Tfo052

Reputable
Dec 23, 2016
Hello, the symptoms you are describing (rattling very slow speeds and weird noises) mean that drive is almost definitely dead.

Slow speeds alone are usually the end for HDD's as that is how they usually die. The amount of data on it will not slow it down unless it is less then 4-5GB if that free.

Mar 25, 2021
Hello, the symptoms you are describing (rattling very slow speeds and weird noises) mean that drive is almost definitely dead.

Slow speeds alone are usually the end for HDD's as that is how they usually die. The amount of data on it will not slow it down unless it is less then 4-5GB if that free.
Hey.
Are the speeds off that much ? They don't seem like they are to me.
"Good" Drive
Read 166
Write 160
Mixed 20
SusWrite 152
SusWrite @10s intervals: 173 150 138 141 145 165 MB/s

"Bad" Drive
Read 143
Write 132
Mixed 23.1
SusWrite 99.8
SusWrite @10s intervals: 97 97 101 101 101 103 MB/s

It doesn't seem that bad to me.
Can you say anything about the audio clip ?
Thanks in advance!

Tfo052

Reputable
Dec 23, 2016
Hello, the sounds do not sound very good. I am not sure what inside the drive would make the high pitched noises at the end as I have never heard a drive make those sounds before. I would guess bad platter motor bearings. The speeds do seem a decent amount slower expecially the sustained write and they should not be that far off if they are the same drive model. Try more to warranty it with the slower speeds annd bad sound but if they do not take it, you can use it with non important information until it dies or gets very bad and then warranty it or just replace it now.