[SOLVED] is this worth an upgrade?

johnnytheguy

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
my friend offered me his lightly used i7-8700 for 2100kr which is about 230 usd and that would replace my i5-8400. is it worth it?

Solution
Is the upgrade woth it?, yes Sir.

Is it a good deal?, thats up to you. Checking online it seems for around the same money you could get a brand new Core i5 10400/10500/10600 which also have 6 cores/6 threads, basically the same chip more or less depending on the model.
Then again you would need a new mobo to be able to use the 10th gen, so the upgrade path to the Core i7 is cheaper.

In any case, intels used price market is a mess. And with the current pandemic everything is even a bigger mess than usual.
Is the upgrade woth it?, yes Sir.

Is it a good deal?, thats up to you. Checking online it seems for around the same money you could get a brand new Core i5 10400/10500/10600 which also have 6 cores/6 threads, basically the same chip more or less depending on the model.
Then again you would need a new mobo to be able to use the 10th gen, so the upgrade path to the Core i7 is cheaper.

In any case, intels used price market is a mess. And with the current pandemic everything is even a bigger mess than usual.

Solution