Is Thrust produced by rocket jet is less than Thrust produced by atmospheric jet engine?

saif1998

Reputable
Oct 6, 2017
I understood that when hot gases are expand at nozzle it produces thrust to engine..
But in rocket engine this is just having oxidiser and fuel which burnes,,, but there are no gases to get hot and expand like atmospheric jet .
Then how the thrust is produced by huge amount?

Please explain fully.
(I think i have not understood proper method of thrust producing in jet engine)

Solution

No, the flow out the back of a rocket is NOT less at the nozzle.

"Rocket science" is how we are/were able to lift a payload of 300,000+ lbs to orbit, and 17,000+ mph.
Just the first stage of the Saturn V consumed almost 5 million pounds of propellant.

USAFRet

Titan

Rocket - Oxidizer and fuel are combined and burned, to produce expanding gasses.
These expanding gases are expelled out the back to provide thrust.

Jet - Air and fuel are combined and burned, to produce expanding gasses.
These expanding gases are expelled out the back to provide thrust.

Same basic concept.

A rocket has to haul its own oxidizer, because once you go high enough, there isn't enough air to do the job.

saif1998

Reputable
Oct 6, 2017
So The thrust is depend on mass flow rate at nozzle...
My question is in rocket i think the mass flow rate is much lesser at nozzle (as it uses oxidiser only, not exes gases) then how it is producing that much thrust?

USAFRet

Titan

No, the flow out the back of a rocket is NOT less at the nozzle.

"Rocket science" is how we are/were able to lift a payload of 300,000+ lbs to orbit, and 17,000+ mph.
Just the first stage of the Saturn V consumed almost 5 million pounds of propellant.

Solution