[SOLVED] is Toshiba P300 HDD reliable?

Epictruckdz

Prominent
Nov 9, 2020
planning to get this 1tb hard drive as a secondary mass storage and installing games on it since my Wd blue 1tb and my ssd aren't enough anymore , I found it decently priced so i'm wondering if anyone had any experience with, is it reliable and fast?
DvOuAjp.jpg

Solution
It's as fast as any other 7200rpm drive these days. But you don't buy a hard drive for it's speed, although you certainly probably also don't want a 5400rpm drive because then it will REALLY crawl. You buy it for the fact that you get a lot more storage capacity for the price than with an SSD.

If you want speed, buy a solid state drive.

As far as being reliable, the backblaze data seems to indicate that they are AT LEAST as reliable as any other brand, and potentially, a bit MORE reliable than some.

It's as fast as any other 7200rpm drive these days. But you don't buy a hard drive for it's speed, although you certainly probably also don't want a 5400rpm drive because then it will REALLY crawl. You buy it for the fact that you get a lot more storage capacity for the price than with an SSD.

As far as being reliable, the backblaze data seems to indicate that they are AT LEAST as reliable as any other brand, and potentially, a bit MORE reliable than some.

Reactions: Epictruckdz
Solution

Epictruckdz

Prominent
Nov 9, 2020

thanks I'll definitely get an extra ssd soon, for now this hdd will be handy for my game library :)

Whether the brand is generally reliable or not is really irrelevant. What IS relevant is that ANY and ALL data you have that is important to you, whether it consists of game files and saves, pictures, music, movies, personal or business documents or simply a backup of your Windows image, SHOULD exist at ALL times in more than one location.

That can mean having an extra hard drive to keep backups of your data on, or an external hard drive, or a cloud backup, or even a spanned backup of all your important data on optical disks, or on just one disk if it's a large enough media and you don't have a lot to backup. In any case, there is no such thing as "this drive is very reliable so I don't have to worry about it" because ALL drives fail, and even very reliable drive models can, and will, have a certain number of samples that simply fail prematurely for one reason or another.

Backup your data now, or cry later. It's really as simple as that.

Reactions: Epictruckdz