Question Is upgrading a CPU easy to do on my own as a beginner

Mar 31, 2020
I asked earlier about upgrading my CPU and I found which one I'm able to use. Now my question is, is it a simple task for a beginner to do this on my own? I've been watching Linus on Youtube and have been watching his tutorials on CPU's, but I'm still not 100% positive that it's that easy. I know about the anti-static wristband, thermal paste what not to touch etc. If anyone is able to inform me on any info I' m missing or if you've done it before, could you tell me if it's fairly simple?

Also, after upgrading the CPU is it as simple as putting it in, turning on the pc, and going straight to gaming or do I need to update things or change anything before or after? Sorry for such a long question I'm nervous about destroying my PC in the process of this upgrade lol

It's pretty simple.
  • Unscrew old heatsink and remove it
  • Clean old heatsink to remove old thermal paste with rubbing alcohol. Preferably 90%.
  • Unlatch old CPU and remove it
  • Install new cpu
  • Latch
  • Apply new thermal paste in a thin layer
  • Install heatsink
  • Boot

What to look out for.
  • Check motherboard manufacturer CPU support list. Make sure new CPU is compatible and if it requires a BIOS update prior to installation of new CPU.
  • Pins are very easily bent. Be very careful removing old CPU. Aligning new CPU. Installing new CPU.
  • If new CPU does not include a heatsink. You may need a new one. As your old heatsink may not be capable of handling the new CPU.

Reactions: RJ Stalzer
Mar 31, 2020
It's pretty simple.
  • Unscrew old heatsink and remove it
  • Clean old heatsink to remove old thermal paste with rubbing alcohol. Preferably 90%.
  • Unlatch old CPU and remove it
  • Install new cpu
  • Latch
  • Apply new thermal paste in a thin layer
  • Install heatsink
  • Boot
What to look out for.
  • Check motherboard manufacturer CPU support list. Make sure new CPU is compatible and if it requires a BIOS update prior to installation of new CPU.
  • Pins are very easily bent. Be very careful removing old CPU. Aligning new CPU. Installing new CPU.
  • If new CPU does not include a heatsink. You may need a new one. As your old heatsink may not be capable of handling the new CPU.
Ok thank you very much, so nothing is needed after the install of the new CPU It's just a swap out

We are leaving out just a few details, like CPU-mainboard-socket-BIOS compatibility...(In short, we'd need to know your current mainboard (and BIOS version, depending on desired upgrade), current CPU, and, intended new CPU before celebrating just yet on the ease of said task :)

So although it CAN be easy...

there are quite a few pitfalls/'gotchas', as well!

We are leaving out just a few details, like CPU-mainboard-socket-BIOS compatibility...(In short, we'd need to know your current mainboard (and BIOS version, depending on desired upgrade), current CPU, and, intended new CPU before celebrating just yet on the ease of said task :)

So although it CAN be easy...

there are quite a few pitfalls/'gotchas', as well!

It is compatible as he asked about his motherboard compatibility in this thread:

The board is a HP OEM, but it is a standard micro ATX with standard connectors, so he shouldn't have any problems with the installation. It also supports the I7-7700.
Just passing info.

Last edited: