[SOLVED] Is Valorant safe?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Long story short, I had DL'ed CSGO on Steam to test a potato I put together for a friend and rather dig it. Cool little game. I stink at it, but anyway.
Another buddy of mine I game with insists that if I like CSGO I MUST try Valorant. The moment I go to download the game my computer pops a security warning and I had to make it accept the download. Installing it as well as the Riot launcher thing both set off security warnings in Windows as well as my AV solution.
To get to the point, I read a bit online indicating that the game is a high security risk and allowing Riot high level access to PC it is installed on. I know a whole lot of people playing this game.
Should I be concerned about this from a risk standpoint as it's made out to be, or is it overblown for some other reason(s)?

Solution
The Vanguard anticheat is what is suspect as it installs and behaves like a root kit. But until the codes gets looked at more closely , or TenCent activates it, it's purpose (aside from being an anti-cheat) is unknown.

popatim

Titan
The Vanguard anticheat is what is suspect as it installs and behaves like a root kit. But until the codes gets looked at more closely , or TenCent activates it, it's purpose (aside from being an anti-cheat) is unknown.

Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

I have been doing some reading about it online and there seems to be ZERO consensus about the reality of it's security. I read an article or two saying you could disable/uninstall the Vanguard thing, but that simply is not true. It just reinstalls it when you open the game the next time.
I guess at the very least, the uninstaller seems to get rid of it, unlike a virus, in that when I uninstalled it and the game I went back to check for it's running process and it was not there. I went ahead and ran a virus scan behind it as well.
At the very least, if the gaming company wants to run a scraper they could at least shut it off when you aren't playing.