Is windows 7 better than windows 8?

Rannsacker

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
OK guys first off let me give you my build:http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Wy9GdC

I think it is complete. The only thing left to review is the operating system which is very important, especially because it is thing that will make or break the whole build. Which brings me to my question. Is windows 7 better than 8.

OK I know a lot of people are going to off the bat say one over the other without an explanation. So if that is you please don't comment. I know how a fan boy can be. But please keep it to yourself. You don't have to prove anything to me. I already like both. That is why I am asking you guys. If you do choose to comment just make sure you explain why you think one is better.

Anyway. The core factors that will influence weather or not I will get if it preforms then best for my needs; which is mainly filming. I use blender regualry and feel that I will be using it more with this new build. So weather or not it preforms better on that is the biggest factor. Also might as well throw in other filming product like adobe after effect and the like.

The second factor will be in gaming. Give me some benchmarks please. I feel it is the only suitable way to determine anything.

The last factor is if it will last. I want to know weather or not either of them will last the life of my computer as far as updates and preferability.

Thank you for anything you guys can give me.

Solution
1. NO performance difference.
2. PURE preference.
3. Windows 8 users may get a free upgrade to Windows 10.

If you are comfortable with using Windows 8, get it, if not, get 7. Its that simple.

viewtyjoe

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
Benchmarks tend to show something like a 1-3% increase in performance due to optimizations in Windows 8, which is small enough to be negligible. As Novuake has already pointed out, things are looking probable on 8 users getting 10 at no cost. Beyond that, it's really down to UI experience.

As a side note that I believe is relevant.

What games do you play? What resolution?
Do you plan on overclocking?
What is your actual budget?

You do not need all those fans.
You can save a bit on PSU. Although the one you chose is exceptional quality.

from a end user perspective there is very little difference.
internally, there are big differences. Windows 8.x has better support for newer hardware, better error checking and will do repairs of your hard drive in the background. (recover and move data from sectors that are going bad on your drive without you having to tell it to)

also windows 7 is in the "end of life" phase of development cycle.
IE its is not been declared dead but will be soon. RIP

I think OEM sales of windows 7 end this month.
Jan 13 2015 mainstream support for windows 7 ends
Only paid support and security fixes after that until 2020.
No more service packs, No more new features, No more new drivers for new hardware will be put in the OS.

http://support2.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=Windows+7

Vadamo

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
I recommend going with Windows 7, even though you may get a Windows 10 update for free keep in mind you MAY. For me, Windows 8 was horrible and I am happy I bought Windows 7 . Windows 8 often took my mouse movements as gestures often moving me out of a task and causing me to mess up. Windows 8 also hogged my GPU with the start menu. The start menu is really only meant for a tablet not really a desktop or laptop. More programs are compatible with Windows 7 as well, no matter how many bug fixes they do not every program will work on 8. Windows 8 also is a PAIN to navigate through , the multitasking is just plain horrible too.

Normally, I would not bash a OS like that but Windows 8 was a mess. In my opinion, Go for 7. And Windows 7 has about 3-4 more years to go in terms of support by that time Windows 10 or something better will be out.

plast0000

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013
I think that 8.1 is better from my experience with both OSs
what I like
1-better performance
2-less resource hungry
3-supports newer hardware
8 users can upgrade to 10 for free, that's still a rumor but it may be possible like from 8 to 8.1
what I don't like
the start screen is a full screen start menu (it's a bit annoying for me)
the flat UI, I don't like flat UIs but making it PLAIN WHITE is a big NOPE, it hurts my eyes just like the plain white UI in IOS 7 and 8

my complaints are with the UI, but the core is way better, I learned to adapt the new UI
you should also be able to adapt it
so I tell you go with 8.1

Astralv

Distinguished
I do not understand why people have issues with Start screen. I use it once in a while when I need to open a program I do not usually use or search for something. I do not even notice how I click on Desktop and all my programs have icons on the desktop. How do you get to get unnoyed by the Start screen? If I needed Start button- it is the same, just larger.

I like to have latest OS, because somebody did something to improve it. If some programs not keeping up- they will be left behind. I did not see any program that did not work on Windows 8.

I like 8.1 very much. never look back.

Rannsacker

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
Thank you everyone for your answers. I think I now know what I want. Windows 8 is going to have to be my choice. Because like everyone else has said, the GUI does not bother me and has actually grown on me. My sister was very upset when she couldn't get 7 but she learn to like it start menu and all. Besides fps analysis has proven better performance from everything to starting up to playing games.

U guys are awesome. Thanks again for all the help. Whenever I've had a problem, it has always be you guys who help. You guys don't judge others and I respect people and the choices. Keep it up.

BTW: my res. 1600 x 900 and I'm modding my PC case. Just to keep the talk going.