Is Windows Vista worth it?

purple buzz

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
so I was looking at all the reviews for Vista and they are mostly unbelievably negative. I'm a gamer, and I would like a stable OS. and was wondering is Vista really that bad?

people act like Vista is 100x worse than old XP, which is what I'm running. I need a 64-bit OS because i just upgraded my PC, and would like to feel its full potential.

would I be making a mistake by Installing Vista? is Vista even good enough for surfing the web and use it as a backup? seems like people criticize it so much, that it crashes 20x per day.

my new PC:

AMD Athlon II X2 255 Regor 3.1GHz Socket AM3 65W
Foxconn A76ML-K
ECS NR9800GTE-512QX-F GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit DDR3
A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W
200G Seagate (Master)
500GB Wester Digitital SATA

Solution
If you are going to buy a new OS for your new pc, get Windows 7 it's a much improved OS. That's not to say that Vista is no good, with all the updates and Service pack it's fine.
I used it for a couple of years without a problem.
There is no point in buying an OS that's been replaced, get W7 and you won't be disappointed. It won't take you long to get used to it.
Another thing to consider, if you get the Business or Ultimate version, you can install XP on it to run older programs that are not compatible with W7. You run XP in W7, so no dual boot required.
You can go to the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor page and check out features.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

Jonmor68

Distinguished
If you are going to buy a new OS for your new pc, get Windows 7 it's a much improved OS. That's not to say that Vista is no good, with all the updates and Service pack it's fine.
I used it for a couple of years without a problem.
There is no point in buying an OS that's been replaced, get W7 and you won't be disappointed. It won't take you long to get used to it.
Another thing to consider, if you get the Business or Ultimate version, you can install XP on it to run older programs that are not compatible with W7. You run XP in W7, so no dual boot required.
You can go to the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor page and check out features.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

Solution