Question Is YouTube's 1440p processing down lately?

I usually don't have a problem with YouTube finishing processing my 1440p uploads to actual 1440p. Lately though, the last 3 I uploaded stopped at 1080p. Two of them I left the upload page open where I got final confirmation of "Processing Done", yet still only a 1080p viewing option on the uploaded video.

I even tried uploading a very condensed 30 sec clip of the last upload, and though it processed a lot quicker of course, after some time, still no 1440p viewing option of the upload. So I have to wonder if something is wrong with their 1440p processing, and if anyone else is having this problem the last couple days?

Can someone here try uploading a brief 1440p clip to see if you get it processed to a 1440p viewing option? You don't actually need a 1440p or 4K display to do this, many video editing tools have a resize feature. I'd appreciate any help or feedback on this. My 1440p vids were processing fine a few days ago.

Last edited:
It takes some time for the option to become available. It took a couple of hours in my case for one of my videos to even show the 1080p option. Give it a little bit and the option will come eventually.
I know it takes a lot longer than 1080p processing, but trust me, it is DRASTICALLY longer than what it was just a few days ago. Also, when even a mere 30 sec clip can't seem to process to 1440p, I have to wonder if their 1440p processing is temporarily down.

I'm not looking for generic, cliche replies here. I know how long 1440p processing takes, as I've uploaded literally TONS of 1440p vids. What I'm looking for is if anyone else has noticed 1440p YT processing to be EXTREMELY slower the last couple days, and hopefully some willing participants in testing brief 30 sec clips to see if they're having the same problem currently?

So thanks for the response, but not quite what I'm looking for. I mean that's like when devs say install the latest GPU drivers if you're game isn't playing how you like. I don't need to be told stuff I'm already well aware of. ;)

I know it takes a lot longer than 1080p processing, but trust me, it is DRASTICALLY longer than what it was just a few days ago. Also, when even a mere 30 sec clip can't seem to process to 1440p, I have to wonder if their 1440p processing is temporarily down.

I'm not looking for generic, cliche replies here. I know how long 1440p processing takes, as I've uploaded literally TONS of 1440p vids. What I'm looking for is if anyone else has noticed 1440p YT processing to be EXTREMELY slower the last couple days, and hopefully some willing participants in testing brief 30 sec clips to see if they're having the same problem currently?

So thanks for the response, but not quite what I'm looking for. I mean that's like when devs say install the latest GPU drivers if you're game isn't playing how you like. I don't need to be told stuff I'm already well aware of. ;)

Quite the long reply to simply say, "thanks but I already know that".

Anywho, there are no official reports from google about this issue and a quick google search shows many other people are also having this problem.
https://support.google.com/youtube/thread/32316087?hl=en

Quite the long reply to simply say, "thanks but I already know that".

Anywho, there are no official reports from google about this issue and a quick google search shows many other people are also having this problem.
https://support.google.com/youtube/thread/32316087?hl=en
Yeah sorry if I sounded ungrateful for the reply, but quite honestly from the sound of it I assumed you hadn't even read the details of my post, where I clearly explained I had uploaded 1440p vids before and not had this problem, and even tried a 30 sec 1440p clip. I get these kind of comments a lot, ironically on my YouTube videos, where it's obvious the video description has not been read.

Anyway, my apologies if you read it and maybe just misinterpreted it, or just thought I took for granted or forgot how long 1440p processing takes sometimes. And thank you very much for the Google and Reddit forum heads up. It didn't even occur to me to look there.

I DID do Google (and YouTube) searches btw, but I generally only check the 1st page of links, and none showed Google forum chat. There must have been more discussion on it since I last looked. Hopefully this will get sorted out soon.

I have to wonder if it has anything to do with them upgrading or doing maintenance on a lot of their infrastructure to make Stadia work better or something. I'm going to bookmark any relevant Google or Reddit forum threads on this and keep an eye on it.

I just checked again and that help thread you linked to was locked, and so as the only other one that pertained to this problem. I found several such threads on Reddit, but all but one are 1-5 years old. One is just 5 months old though and it's a guy whom resizes to 1440p like I do, and is wondering if Google has developed a new filter that detects content that is resized to 1440p, vs captured at that res. I only have a 1080p display, and I resize to take advantage of the much higher processing bitrate YT uses for 1440p.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/videography/comments/fdsrwf/youtube_hack_1440p_upscale_for_vp9_codec_blocked/

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020
I usually don't have a problem with YouTube finishing processing my 1440p uploads to actual 1440p. Lately though, the last 3 I uploaded stopped at 1080p. Two of them I left the upload page open where I got final confirmation of "Processing Done", yet still only a 1080p viewing option on the uploaded video.

I even tried uploading a very condensed 30 sec clip of the last upload, and though it processed a lot quicker of course, after some time, still no 1440p viewing option of the upload. So I have to wonder if something is wrong with their 1440p processing, and if anyone else is having this problem the last couple days?

Can someone here try uploading a brief 1440p clip to see if you get it processed to a 1440p viewing option? You don't actually need a 1440p or 4K display to do this, many video editing tools have a resize feature. I'd appreciate any help or feedback on this. My 1440p vids were processing fine a few days ago.

I am having the same issue for the last few days. I have uploaded 3 short videos that were shot and encoded at 2.7K. They would normally be HD processed using the VP9 codec by YouTube and the 1440p viewing option would be available. They were however HD processed only to 1080p using the AVC codec, and HD processing is 'finished.'

I then uploaded a longer video yesterday at 2.7K. It is still processing the HD version 24 hours later. I uploaded the same file using a different title this morning and it is finished HD processing, but like the first 3 short videos, it is only processed to 1080p using AVC codec.

I have tried to chat with the support team, but they seem not to understand the technical stuff. Their only proposed resolution is to reprocess the file which they say takes a few days. It likely won't change anything though, as I suspect there are server issues. The VP9 codec for the 1440p processing is resource-intensive. They may be saving resources due to some problems. The support people though refuse to talk with the technical team to find this out. Very frustrating.

Here is a link to the community forum for YouTube with many others having the same issue over the last few days. I posted there as well under John Rocheleau:
https://support.google.com/youtube/thread/67300511?hl=en
Thanks, yeah I too tried re-uploading my file under another title and same result. I suspect same as you, that they pulled support for 1440p (and maybe 4K processing) due to server problems. I'm not sure whether their so called "support" team even knows about it, or maybe are told not to say anything about it, especially since they're still trying to convince gamers to try Stadia.

Even the giants with the biggest infrastructure falter at times. I'm sure the same will eventually happen with Verizon and their 5G network.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRKtown
Yeah sorry if I sounded ungrateful for the reply, but quite honestly from the sound of it I assumed you hadn't even read the details of my post, where I clearly explained I had uploaded 1440p vids before and not had this problem, and even tried a 30 sec 1440p clip. I get these kind of comments a lot, ironically on my YouTube videos, where it's obvious the video description has not been read.

Anyway, my apologies if you read it and maybe just misinterpreted it, or just thought I took for granted or forgot how long 1440p processing takes sometimes. And thank you very much for the Google and Reddit forum heads up. It didn't even occur to me to look there.

I DID do Google (and YouTube) searches btw, but I generally only check the 1st page of links, and none showed Google forum chat. There must have been more discussion on it since I last looked. Hopefully this will get sorted out soon.

I have to wonder if it has anything to do with them upgrading or doing maintenance on a lot of their infrastructure to make Stadia work better or something. I'm going to bookmark any relevant Google or Reddit forum threads on this and keep an eye on it.

I just checked again and that help thread you linked to was locked, and so as the only other one that pertained to this problem. I found several such threads on Reddit, but all but one are 1-5 years old. One is just 5 months old though and it's a guy whom resizes to 1440p like I do, and is wondering if Google has developed a new filter that detects content that is resized to 1440p, vs captured at that res. I only have a 1080p display, and I resize to take advantage of the much higher processing bitrate YT uses for 1440p.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/videography/comments/fdsrwf/youtube_hack_1440p_upscale_for_vp9_codec_blocked/

I didn't take offense to your reply, don't worry. But yeah as what I said or the other guy is saying, there is no news out there at the moment. All you can do for the time being is just upload your file and let the servers do their thing when they get to it. Not much say in the matter unfortunately.

I didn't take offense to your reply, don't worry. But yeah as what I said or the other guy is saying, there is no news out there at the moment. All you can do for the time being is just upload your file and let the servers do their thing when they get to it. Not much say in the matter unfortunately.
There's no comment from Google if that's what you mean by news, but as I said there's a fair bit of forum word of mouth indicating it's been happening to a lot of people the last few days. I suspect as I said that some of their VP9 processing servers went down, which makes sense since so many are at home gaming during COVID. Steam has seen record activity in games like CSGO since COVID.

Reactions: Newtonius
There's no comment from Google if that's what you mean by news, but as I said there's a fair bit of forum word of mouth indicating it's been happening to a lot of people the last few days. I suspect as I said that some of their VP9 processing servers went down, which makes sense since so many are at home gaming during COVID. Steam has seen record activity in games like CSGO since COVID.

This is a reason why google set their default video resolution to 720p for most of the world; trying to moderate global bandwidth.

This is a reason why google set their default video resolution to 720p for most of the world; trying to moderate global bandwidth.
They have to keep up with the trend they set though when they introduced 4K on YouTube 10 years ago. The standard has since pretty much switched over to 1080p. Just the fact that 1080p processing is still possible without waiting very long when something like this happens tends to validate that.

Reactions: Newtonius
Aug 28, 2020
I just had another reply via email from YouTube support. They have done some sort of fix, hopefully a permanent one, as All 4 of my videos uploaded over the last several days were not showing a 1440p option, and were not employing the VP9 codec are now at 1440p running VP9. Andrew (support guy) didn't come out and say what the issue was or even that it was YouTube's issue. He seemed to be pointing the finger at my end as if my system didn't support VP9 or I didn't know proper encoding methods. That didn't sit well with me, not did it make any sense. My system obviously supports VP9 on viewing or I wouldn't have been able see it was missing in only those videos. I do hope they have actually fixed it and that it is fixed for you guys also.

Yeah, I concur, it looks like they sorted this out now, at least for me (and I'm sure many if not most others). All the videos I uploaded that were stuck at 1080p are now playing in 1440p.

I agree on the BS blame the end user crap, but unfortunately it's what a lot of big tech companies do. I doubt it's the fault of the support guy though, he was no doubt told to say that.

Same happens to my youtube uploads. 1440p60 visible as 1080p60.
That problem was fixed almost 3 months ago. What you're probably experiencing is just longer than usual wait time for 1440p processing, especially if it's a long video. Keep in mind we're also getting into the holiday season, so more people are probably uploading videos than usual, which could cause the processing servers to take longer to complete the high res processing.

At any rate, I've uploaded a few videos 6-7 min long the last few days, and all of them processed to 1440p. The processing time seemed maybe a bit longer than usual, but only slightly, and definitely not long enough to be a concern.

I'll be uploading a few more later today that are roughly twice as long, so I'll report back on the time it takes to process to 1440p.

Last edited:

PureChaosX

Reputable
Jul 12, 2017
I've been having this problem lately as well, at least for the last week or so.

I've noticed that my 1440p videos have been taking considerably longer to finish processing. Of the last 8 videos I've uploaded, it's happened 6 of them. They refused to process to 1440p well after 24 hours, usually they are fully processed within 12-14 hours (if I'm lucky).

But recently, videos NEVER seem to process fully. 1080p seems to occur within 1-2 hours, and I know that 2k/4k take a lot longer, but my 1440p videos seem to be taking upwards of 20 times longer to process.

I have had to delete each video and re-upload. ONLY then does it process successfully. This is quite frustrating as I set my videos to Unlisted until all resolutions are available, as I don't really think people want to watch in 360p and 1080p is super blocky, so I want 1440p ready for people to watch. It means I have no views on new videos for in excess of 24 hours (one took over 48 hours and STILL never processed).

I'm currently keeping an eye on a video that was upload at 14:00 yesterday. it is currently 17:00 (UK) and still hasn't processed to 1440p, and thus no new views. I also uploaded a video to my second channel (no views, no subs) and that video DID get processed to 1440p relatively quickly (less than a day) so YouTube don't care about channel size.

I just wish there was a way to get 1080p videos looking as good as 1440p on the VP9 codec, but instead they just look awful, especially when you have fast moving sequences on-screen.

I'm not impressed with YouTube right now. And I probably never will be.

But recently, videos NEVER seem to process fully. 1080p seems to occur within 1-2 hours, and I know that 2k/4k take a lot longer, but my 1440p videos seem to be taking upwards of 20 times longer to process.
That has not been the case for me, and it's hard to grasp what you really mean, because you start out saying they never process fully, and end by saying they take up to 20 times longer. As far as I can tell, I'm estimating roughly 5 times longer for me at most.

I suppose it depends on the length of the videos, but I uploaded a couple 14-15 min vids midday yesterday, and they were processed to 1440p by early this morning. Granted, normally they'd been finished processing later that day or night, but there's no doubt a ton of people uploading videos lately with both COVID and the holiday season going on.

In my experience it is not broken like it was when I first started this thread 3 months ago though. Back then they wouldn't process to 1440p even 3 or more days later.

In short, be patient and be glad it's working at all, even if much slower. It's tough times for everyone right now, even big businesses. And remember, these are services that are far from essential, so we're lucky they're even up and running at all.

PureChaosX

Reputable
Jul 12, 2017
It did seem a bit confusing, granted... the videos that NEVER finished are the ones that hadn't processed after nearly 2 days and I've just ended up deleting them. The ones that DO finish I've left for nearly 2 days, then eventually they do process to 1440p, as long as I'm patient (which I'm not always).

Just kinda frustrating to see "Processing HD version, SD complete" flashing for a solid 24 hours.

I understand that with all that is going on, YouTube is being pushed more than usual so I get that things may seem slower than normal for a while, but I have had videos process to 1440p in under a day, and this was just last week. Well, hopefully my current upload will get to 1440p, then I can finally set it to Public.

And yes, we are indeed lucky that non-essential service are still up and running to keep us busy and keep our minds occupied.

It did seem a bit confusing, granted... the videos that NEVER finished are the ones that hadn't processed after nearly 2 days and I've just ended up deleting them. The ones that DO finish I've left for nearly 2 days, then eventually they do process to 1440p, as long as I'm patient (which I'm not always).

Just kinda frustrating to see "Processing HD version, SD complete" flashing for a solid 24 hours.

I understand that with all that is going on, YouTube is being pushed more than usual so I get that things may seem slower than normal for a while, but I have had videos process to 1440p in under a day, and this was just last week. Well, hopefully my current upload will get to 1440p, then I can finally set it to Public.

And yes, we are indeed lucky that non-essential service are still up and running to keep us busy and keep our minds occupied.
Well you never said if the total time you mentioned included upload time, or JUST processing time after it uploaded (particularly HD processing time after SD processing finished), so if it IS total time including upload time, your ISP upload speed comes into play. As well does the length of the videos, which you also didn't mention.

I'm a bit mad at myself right now, because I thought I had 3 new videos ready to post, but then I found out the first of those 3 I captured, never was uploaded. DOH! It says about 34 min left to upload right now, which will probably be more like an hour when SD processing is done, and I'll no doubt be lucky if the 1440p processing is finished by tonight.

I always wait until 1440p processing is done before I post, because I never know if some viewers are going to want to view them fullscreen, or on what size display. They look acceptable at 1080p on my 32" TV on YT's small viewer size, or especially as embedded videos here, but pretty blurry fullscreen without 1440p.

Last edited:

PureChaosX

Reputable
Jul 12, 2017
Ha, fair point! Well, I start "counting the hours" after the upload is complete and playable at 360p. Uploads usually complete within 40 minutes for a 2.5Gb file. The length of the video is usually between 30-40 minutes, rarely more.

Ah, common mistake I'm sure. But unfortunate that you now have to wait for the first one before you can post the other two. Definitely lucky to have 1440p by tonight, but hey... you never know right?

I've recently started doing that. Putting my uploads as Unlisted until 1440p is ready, as no-one wants to watch 360p. But then I started having these issues with the 1440p processing. Same, my 1080p videos seemed blurry in all apsects, especially when something on-screen was moving fast.

Ha, fair point! Well, I start "counting the hours" after the upload is complete and playable at 360p. Uploads usually complete within 40 minutes for a 2.5Gb file. The length of the video is usually between 30-40 minutes, rarely more.

Ah, common mistake I'm sure. But unfortunate that you now have to wait for the first one before you can post the other two. Definitely lucky to have 1440p by tonight, but hey... you never know right?

I've recently started doing that. Putting my uploads as Unlisted until 1440p is ready, as no-one wants to watch 360p. But then I started having these issues with the 1440p processing. Same, my 1080p videos seemed blurry in all apsects, especially when something on-screen was moving fast.
Well, this video I'm uploading is only 13 min though, nearly one third the length you're doing. I also always just have the uploads set to Public, as I don't expect any views until I post them. I'm not hugely famous after all. LOL

PureChaosX

Reputable
Jul 12, 2017
Well, this video I'm uploading is only 13 min though, nearly one third the length you're doing. I also always just have the uploads set to Public, as I don't expect any views until I post them. I'm not hugely famous after all. LOL

Lol, I know what you mean. I'm small potatoes compared to pretty much anyone on YouTube. Lucky if I get 5 views on a single video in one day, haha,

Lol, I know what you mean. I'm small potatoes compared to pretty much anyone on YouTube. Lucky if I get 5 views on a single video in one day, haha,
Well, sometimes we like to imagine being rich and famous would be gravy, but it's not. The ones that get that many views are under constant pressure to keep cranking out the uploads, and any small thing can affect popularity and cause it to plummet. Plus there are many potential security and legal risks involved. I'm not saying it's fun to be poor and obscure, but there is some comfort in knowing there's not a lot of weight on our shoulders.

Whoo, hoo, HD processing has started, wish me luck! LOL If my estimations are correct, it will take about 10 hours to complete (roughly 8 PM my time). If yours are correct, it won't be done until sometime tomorrow.

Last edited:

PureChaosX

Reputable
Jul 12, 2017
Well, sometimes we like to imagine being rich and famous would be gravy, but it's not. The ones that get that many views are under constant pressure to keep cranking out the uploads, and any small thing can affect popularity and cause it to plummet. Plus there are many potential security and legal risks involved. I'm not saying it's fun to be poor and obscure, but there is some comfort in knowing there's not a lot of weight on our shoulders.

Whoo, hoo, HD processing has started, wish me luck! LOL If my estimations are correct, it will take about 10 hours to complete (roughly 8 PM my time). If yours are correct, it won't be done until sometime tomorrow.

I have to agree, while it would be nice to be popular and receive thousands of views in the first few minutes, it's nice not to have all that pressure to get videos out day after day, and you can just take your time.

I wish you good luck then! Hopefully, if your calculations are correct, it'll be ready by the night. Hopefully, my calculations are wrong, lol. My latest video is currently sitting at 19 hours into 1440p processing... I hope yours doesn't take that long!