Question Is YouTube's 1440p processing down lately?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I usually don't have a problem with YouTube finishing processing my 1440p uploads to actual 1440p. Lately though, the last 3 I uploaded stopped at 1080p. Two of them I left the upload page open where I got final confirmation of "Processing Done", yet still only a 1080p viewing option on the uploaded video.

I even tried uploading a very condensed 30 sec clip of the last upload, and though it processed a lot quicker of course, after some time, still no 1440p viewing option of the upload. So I have to wonder if something is wrong with their 1440p processing, and if anyone else is having this problem the last couple days?

Can someone here try uploading a brief 1440p clip to see if you get it processed to a 1440p viewing option? You don't actually need a 1440p or 4K display to do this, many video editing tools have a resize feature. I'd appreciate any help or feedback on this. My 1440p vids were processing fine a few days ago.

Last edited:
I wish you good luck then! Hopefully, if your calculations are correct, it'll be ready by the night. Hopefully, my calculations are wrong, lol. My latest video is currently sitting at 19 hours into 1440p processing... I hope yours doesn't take that long!
Well the 1080p processing finished about noon, so I'm hoping in another 8 hrs, at the latest 11 hrs, it will be done. I have to think this being Thanksgiving Day, there won't be as many people uploading, and spending time with their families instead. Then again, many might be staying at home due to COVID, and as an alternative to being with their families, sending them home videos instead. God forbid!!!

PureChaosX

Reputable
Jul 12, 2017
So your calculations were correct? Well that's good to know. Your's seemed to have processed decently quick. Mine was eventually done, checked 9AM this morning, my time. I think a little under 44 hours, nearly 2 days!

So your calculations were correct? Well that's good to know. Your's seemed to have processed decently quick. Mine was eventually done, checked 9AM this morning, my time. I think a little under 44 hours, nearly 2 days!
Well like I said, I imagine not too many people are likely uploading videos a lot on Thanksgiving, and with family and/or friends instead. So whether it stays that way for me in the coming days, who knows. It very well could have processed even faster than that. I had planned to check it at least every hour, but got side tracked doing other things.

PureChaosX

Reputable
Jul 12, 2017
Well, my latest upload finally processed to 1440p after nearly 2 days (I had already deleted the one that took over 2 days)... but I'm gonna start making the videos Public once 1080p is available, usually about 3 hours later. Thanksgiving may have helped the video process quicker than it would have had it been a normal day, which is good. I also planned to keep an eye on the process, but I usually end up in bed and it's "sometimes" done by the morning.

Of the last 8 videos I've uploaded, it's happened 6 of them. They refused to process to 1440p well after 24 hours, usually they are fully processed within 12-14 hours (if I'm lucky).
I'm experiencing a bit of inconsistency myself lately with 1440p processing. After over 24 hours, one of the 3 videos I uploaded recently is still stuck at 1080p, and it was the first of the 3 I uploaded, and a smaller file than one of the other two that finished processing at 1440p.

So now I'm stuck wondering whether I should wait to see if it finishes processing, or try uploading it again. The really weird thing is, YouTube Studio says they're all still "Processing HD version", yet two of them have completely finished processing.

I'm having this problem again after uploading a couple 1440p videos that were both less than 15 min long, and 3 days later, neither is processed to 1440p. I also tried reuploading one of them, but it seems stuck on 1080p too.

Has anyone else had this problem for the last week or so?