ISO of Windows 10 on USB, boots into black screen with blinking cursor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davida9202

Reputable
Oct 25, 2015
I received an old desktop from a friend to tinker with, and after two fresh installs of Windows 10 on it, the thing still had 200GB of storage taken up on it. Because of this, I decided to wipe out the entire hard drive (used DBAN) and boot it up with a windows 10 ISO on a flash drive and go from there. Once all the boot priority settings were configured, ISO downloaded, etc., I plug the flash drive in and boot from it (made sure BIOS recognized it beforehand). Everything starts up fine, and then I'm hit with a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top lefthand corner.

All the hardware works fine seeing as it ran just fine before wiping the hard drive, all the BIOS boot settings seem to be correct, and the ISO was downloaded correctly (got it from Microsoft and then formatted it to the drive with Rufus). Is there anything I might have forgotten or horribly screwed up?

The computer is a Dell Studio 540s, if that helps at all. Not entirely sure of the exact motherboard model. Any help is greatly appreciated.

davida9202

Reputable
Oct 25, 2015

Got onto the microsoft website, downloaded it to my computer, got on rufus and formatted it on there. Is there a step i'm missing, or do i even need to get it formatted on?

davida9202

Reputable
Oct 25, 2015

Just tried that, got the same result.

davida9202

Reputable
Oct 25, 2015

Already tried that, and I'm getting the exact same black screen :/

davida9202

Reputable
Oct 25, 2015

The computer i want to put Windows has no operating system, therefore I am unable to use setup.exe. What I am trying to do is use the USB with the ISO on it as a boot device, but I get a black screen with a blinking cursor when doing so.

davida9202

Reputable
Oct 25, 2015

I have an internal DVD drive, should I try and get ahold of a DVD and load the ISO onto that?

davida9202

Reputable
Oct 25, 2015

Alright. I'll pick up a DVD tomorrow and get back with results.

davida9202

Reputable
Oct 25, 2015

Update: the DVD worked just fine, and I am currently installing Windows 10. Thank you so much :)

Glad to hear it, with the age of the system, it probably just has a quirk in the BIOS about booting from a USB.

Please don't forget to close the topic.

Jul 20, 2019
Hi i just tried this steps...
  1. I downloaded the windows os.
  2. I made a usb bootable device using Rufus 2.8 with the downloaded windows o.s.
  3. I turned my PC Settings to UEFI from LEGACY from boot option (i guess you know what i mean)
  4. I saved and restart but before i hit the saved and restart button i made sure that my Bootable USB is connected and prioritized and the Legacy boot option
  5. Then after all that, Windows Screen Suddenly show up.. thanks God..

Status
Not open for further replies.