ISP blocking websites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy93

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
When recently I wanted to download something from mediafire.com. My Firefox gave me this message:
This server could not prove that it is mediafire.com; its security certificate is from contentcontrol.vodafone.co.uk. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.
It was working fine one week ago, but now it doesn't. I contacted my ISP (Vodafone Broadband). And they are saying the issue is not on their side, it's strange because this is not the first website that gives me this message.

Solution

If your ISP is blocking mediafire, there isn't a lot you can do.

Rudy93

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
I just want to eter main site of mediafire.com. There are lots of mods for the games uploaded on there, and I can't download anything. I contacted my ISP but they are saying it's not their fault. They will not unblock it for me because this site is harmful for the users.

USAFRet

Titan

If your ISP is blocking mediafire, there isn't a lot you can do.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Your pc or isp is probably running a white list blocker. That's a list of all the websites that's been found so far to contain malicious software and it's usually stuff that'll download and activate on your pc without knowledge or consent. If, somehow, you've picked up a hijacker which references any of those websites the firewalls on your isp will lock you out. I can't get to mediafire either, its whitelisted on my pc's browser.

I'd start by checking to see if you've had any recent windows auto updates in the last week, and exactly what they were. I'd also do a very thorough cleaning using malwarebytes, spybot: search and destroy, Kaspersky Antivirus etc. It could be some funky tracking cookie that's throwing the browser into fits.

BeauNilla

Reputable
Mar 8, 2015
So your ISP is blocking sites. Not much you can do. If you'd like to see what is going on, here you go:
Firewalls. They provide great security. The problem you are seeing is that as the connection is coming to you, somewhere along the line (Clearly the ISP in your case) is tampering with the certificate. HTTPS is certificate based, so what is happening is that your ISP is taking that certificate sent to you and unpacking it. Not only can they see that you are visiting a specific URL(Ex: Youtube.com),but now, because they have that certificate, they can see what comes after the base name of the website(Ex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4). After inspecting the website certificate, the firewall makes a log of it, and repacks the certificate, and rein crypts it til you receive it on your device.

Clickz

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014
We also use Vodafone broadband, a fix i found is:
Go into your routers config page (192.168.1.1).
Enter your admin password into the box that comes up.
Click on the internet tab.
Along the left should be 4 choices under the internet tab, click the DNS / DDNS option.
Now change the DNS configuration from automatic to manual.
In the two boxes that now come up enter the addresses of any trustable DNS of your choosing.
I chose to use Google's DNS, the addresses for that are:
Domain Name Server (DNS) Address (8.8.8.8)
Secondary DNS Address (optional) (8.8.4.4)
Hopefully now after clearing any cookies and cache in your browser you should be able to access any blocked websites that Vodafone has falsely marked as malicious or whatever.
Thanks, Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.