ISP DSL router to Wifi Router - Lan to Lan set up

Feb 13, 2018
I have an old DSL Router without Wifi , and a friend gave me his old wifi DSL router with broken phone Jack (no wan port)

I want to use his DSL Wifi (router B) with my own wired router for Wifi (router A)

I did the following : Connected LAN1 (router A) to LAN1 (router B)
I assigned IP for Router B out side the DHCP range of Router A
Disabled DHCP on Router B

The problem is : Router A is not assigning IP Addresses to the WIFI on Router B , and since I disabled DHCP on router B , WiFi Devices are not getting IP from Router B at all.

both rouers are DSL routers without wan port . I cant do LAN to Wan to solve this problem.

Can any one tell me how to do it?

Can I turn on Both DHCP ? while using LAN to LAN connection ? so the second router assigns ip to Wifi Devices ?

is there a way to Turn a LAN port into WAN port in DSL Router ? there is something called Binding for each LAN ports in the setup , could it be the one?

Solution
Not likely you still need a router function and the second dsl router does not have a wan port. The NAT function is normally only done between the wan and lan ports and the DSL devices only have DSL WAN ports not ethernet.

I would still try a static ip. It could be blocking just DHCP but I suspect the second router maybe defective in some way. It would be much more likely it does not pass any traffic. Most consumer routers are pretty stupid. They have no ability for example to filter traffic going from wifi to lan so it is unlikely it is a setting. I suppose you could factory reset the device and reconfigure it. You would only want to do the lan ip and disable the DHCP as well as set the wifi radios up. I suspect that...
Try setting a ip address manually on one of your wireless devices and see if you can ping the router ip address.

You configurations and cabling are correct it should work fine and it is strange that it does not.

You could also try plugging a pc into router b lan port and see if the problem is only related to wifi or if any device connected to router b can not get DHCP.

I would extremely surprised if a ethernet connected device does not work, the lan ports on router b are a simple switch.

Feb 13, 2018

The Wifi Router LAN ports work perfectly. it is only the Wifi ports that are not given IP ..

and yes it is very strange , maybe the ADSL router is very old for assigning IP to wifi ports.

Can I change the Modem Router into just a modem and try to make the other wifi router Assign IP addresses ?

Not likely you still need a router function and the second dsl router does not have a wan port. The NAT function is normally only done between the wan and lan ports and the DSL devices only have DSL WAN ports not ethernet.

I would still try a static ip. It could be blocking just DHCP but I suspect the second router maybe defective in some way. It would be much more likely it does not pass any traffic. Most consumer routers are pretty stupid. They have no ability for example to filter traffic going from wifi to lan so it is unlikely it is a setting. I suppose you could factory reset the device and reconfigure it. You would only want to do the lan ip and disable the DHCP as well as set the wifi radios up. I suspect that you have already done that but it is my best suggestion.

This is the method used pretty much by everyone and it seems to always work.

Solution