[SOLVED] ISP Router Security

Jan 13, 2022
Hi there. I've purchased an 'open box but unused' Verizon FIOS router model G3100 from a private individual. I'll be doing a factory-reset on the device and changing all of its Verizon-provided passwords. I'm guessing that Verizon will automatically push out a more recent firmware update to the device.

What other steps should I take to ensure that security of this device is not compromised? Are there any specific security protocols recommended when setting up a previously owned router on my network?

I am not an IT guru but have been able to setup/maintain a few home networks in the past.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Solution
The only risk would be if the previous owner knew the wifi passwords that the box uses after you factory reset it. Many routers have a sticker on the bottom with these defaults.

If you did not change it AND the guy was willing to park out in front of your house maybe he could get access to something. Not real likely and a simple password change prevents it.

You should also make sure WPS is disabled but that is a more generic security thing. The WPS code can not be changed on most equipment but him having it only saves a few minutes just hacking it. Again this would require parking near your house.
The WPS hacking is more done by teens in the neighbors house that parental controls or something enabled. Keeping the...
The only risk would be if the previous owner knew the wifi passwords that the box uses after you factory reset it. Many routers have a sticker on the bottom with these defaults.

If you did not change it AND the guy was willing to park out in front of your house maybe he could get access to something. Not real likely and a simple password change prevents it.

You should also make sure WPS is disabled but that is a more generic security thing. The WPS code can not be changed on most equipment but him having it only saves a few minutes just hacking it. Again this would require parking near your house.
The WPS hacking is more done by teens in the neighbors house that parental controls or something enabled. Keeping the WPS feature disabled is always a best practice.

Most devices can not be accessed by the internet so even if you were to use a admin password he knew there is no way to get remote access to the router....and that assumes he found your IP address to begin with.

I can't really think of a way someone could do something bad with a used fios router. I mean if it was some router you could load custom firmware on then someone I guess could hide something in it.

But this comes back to why would someone even do this. Generally there is no money to be made hacking home users. I guess someone could just hate you enough to try disrupt your service. Most times hacking of home users is teens doing it for no reason or they are trying to get past restriction on their own home network.
The risk is extremely low if you take even simple security steps like changing passwords.

Solution