ISP Upgraded my 90Mbps to 150Mbps, Can't Get More Than 79.99Mbps. Wired

Phestor

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
My ISP is Brighthouse here in Florida. Recently (in December) all internet packages were upgraded to faster speeds. We have 90Mbps and had always gotten 60-75Mbps on any speedtest. But the upgrade was from 90Mbps to 150Mbps and with around 10 speedtests in December, I never saw an increase. Funny thing is, they said all upgrade rollouts had been completed by January 1st.

They have come out 4 times and replaced the modem and almost every wired test they perform showed speeds of 130-155Mbps on their laptops. I even replaced my Ethernet cable with a Cat7 (I know, overkill) and still cannot get any speeds of 80Mbps or more. It is always 79.99Mbps or less.

I'm using the internal LAN connection on my motherboard. I don't know a WHOLE lot about the rig but it's fast and I keep all drivers and updates updated.

Here are my PC and ISP specs:

- AMD-A10-6790K w/Dual Graphics & 8GB of RAM
- Ubee Modem/Router combo
- ASROCK FM2A75 PRO4+ Motherboard
- Windows 7 Ultimate - 64-Bit System
- Bright House Networks 150Mbps Lightning Internet

Any idea why I cannot get speeds of 80+ Mbps?

Hover the mouse pointer over the network icon in the system tray and see what speed it shows the LAN connect speed. It should show 1Gb or 1000 Mb. If it doesn't your LAN adapter needs to be configured for gigabit LAN as it may be locked into 100Mb.

Phestor

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015

Hey, when I hover over it the only thing that pops up says "Network 3 Internet Access"

This is the PCI info: Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20) #2

jedeye

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
Have you checked your router WAN speed specs? Routers labeled "Gigabit" or "10/100/1000" usually only refer to the LAN side of the network, not the WAN side connecting your router to your cable modem and the outside world (a little marketing white lie). You have to get a business class router rated in megabits per second (Mbps, not MBps, or megabytes per second) to handle the speed of your modem speed. For example, in Florida, Brighthouse Lightning 150 delivers 150 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload. Consumer grade routers labeled "Gigabit" as of 4/2015 are not rated over 20 to 40 Mbps typically. Call one of the router manufacturers and ask them which model of router can handle your connection speed. I have Lightning 150 and got the Netgear wired FVS336Gv3 rated at 200 Mbps on the WAN side. My FVS336Gv2 was only rated to 60 Mbps, so be very careful to get the exact model number recommended. Expect to pay $200-$300 or more.