ISP won't play nice with my router(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezekial Altman

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
I'm at the end of my rope with this issue. I've had nothing but problems and my ISP is not helping me because I chose to purchase my own modem and router. Since I don't have their leased equipment at $10/month I am not "supported". I have intermittent connection issues that have been going on for a couple months. My connection will drop 5-10 times per hour! My ISP sent out a tech and he couldn't find anything wrong with my line into the house and my signal is good to the modem. They put a watch on the modem and couldn't find anything wrong on their end.

I decided that my modem was 6 years old and figured I would future proof and upgrade to a new docsis 3.1 modem. I did that hoping it would fix the problem, and $200 later and a tech call nothing was fixed. I then thought maybe my router was the problem so I purchased a newer more capable router as an upgrade/fix. I am still having the same issue. I have tried all of the settings I can think of to get my router to work with my ISP, but to no avail.

I have confirmed that my connection is fine if I just connect my modem directly to my desktop computer. I have eliminated all of the wirings in my house and my routers to get a stable connection. Now I have a bunch of networking in my house with ethernet jacks and routers that won't play with my internet! what is the point...

Anyway, if someone can point me in the right direction on how to get my network/internet functioning again I would greatly appreciate it.

My devices are:

• Asus - RT-AC3100 Router
    Linksys - WRT-1900ACS Router - Running DD-WRT Firmware
    Arris SB8200 Modem

Thanks,

Well, this says is not the ISP's fault, something in your house is doing it.

Do one thing at a time dude, process of elimination. Hook up a few things via ethernet first, no WIFI, see what happens.

Ur next post, it would be nice if you detail what exactly happens when it goes down, otherwise this would be just an useless rant post.

What happens if you connect only your desktop to your router and disable the wifi radios. This should not be a lot different than hooking up your desktop directly. I would reset the router to factory default and only configure the very minimum to make it work.

If that works slowing add things until you get something that breaks it.

Ezekial Altman

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013

Ya, there's not much that I can say that happens when It goes down. I still have network connectivity, and my modem lights don't change. The only thing to note is that all my devices lose internet and the router says no internet connectivity. I am still connected to the network and everything seems fine with the modem and router indicator LEDs. I power cycle my modem and router and it will go back online for a bit.

start with the wires and the cable modem. make sure the modem is on the first splitter in the home. make sure the splitter is a new one. if not the older splitters can block cable modem signals. go to the side of your home where the wires come into your home make sure the cables are tight and not rusted. if you live in an older home see if a squrile may chewed the cable wire from the pole to your home. or see if it rubbing across a tree limb. also email your isp or the people that control the wire to your home ask if the wire ever been cut or damaged from a storm. if it has there may be a bad splice. with your isp se if there another dns server you can use see if the one your trying to use is over loaded or the issue. if not try using google dns see if anything changes. with comcast and other isp they have a listed tested modem that are supported. they have that list so when you connect a new modem there system will push the right config fiel and updated bios for your modem your using. check in the modem that you have the newest bios and the correct boot file. if not have a level 3 support resend the file to your modem. unplug your tv and cable boxes use just the modem and computer se if the issue still there.

Ezekial Altman

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
My modem wasn't on a splitter at all, I had my house rewired to remove the splitters and just have the cable modem on a dedicated line. The tech that came out a few weeks ago put a splitter and new ground block on to "lower the signal strength" as he said it was on the high side and that might be causing the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.