Question Issue connecting PSU to GPU ?

Jun 27, 2024
I upgraded my PSU, everything powers on until I connect my PCI-e cable to the GPU, it clicks then nothing when I power it on. The cable fits but shapes do look different, online it tells me these are compatible.

The cables are the correct way round as there can only be one way to put them into the PSU.

Where can I find the right cable?

GPU: Gigabyte 2060 Super Windforce OC
PSU: Gigabyte UD850GM

I believe the GPU is rev1.0/1.1 but not 100% sure, will check later.

There are only two types of 8 pin cables that look similar: EPS12V and PCIe power cables and it should not be possible to plug an EPS12V cable into the video card. It looks like your new PSU should have 2x PCIe power cables with 2 plugs on each in the form of a 6+2 so it can be used on either a 6 or 8 pin connector. One of those cables is all you should need to connect to your video card.

Hopefully you removed all of your old cables and have only hooked up ones that came with the new PSU, because if not then something may have been damaged.

Jun 27, 2024
There are only two types of 8 pin cables that look similar: EPS12V and PCIe power cables and it should not be possible to plug an EPS12V cable into the video card. It looks like your new PSU should have 2x PCIe power cables with 2 plugs on each in the form of a 6+2 so it can be used on either a 6 or 8 pin connector. One of those cables is all you should need to connect to your video card.

Hopefully you removed all of your old cables and have only hooked up ones that came with the new PSU, because if not then something may have been damaged.
Yes the cable you say here and what I have mentioned fits but does not power GPU everything boots until the 6+2 pin is connected when it is connected there is a click and no life after that when I power it on

Jun 27, 2024
That GPU has a Power LED built in. It flashes in case there is a power problem.
LED does not show just a click, there is a biting point where it turns on partially but I only get it when I remove the cable and put it in repeatedly, when the system has already booted without GPU.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2024
What was model name of your previous PSU?
Was it also modular?
You have to replace all old PSU cables with cables from new PSU.

Old cables may fit, but they are not compatible (wired differently).
I will say again, I am using all cables provided by my new PSU supplier, my old PSU is Kolink 600w bronze semi modular. But I am using nothing todo with this anymore even so I cannot mix them as they are completely different and only fit 1 end into the provided PSU

Jun 27, 2024
Is your replacement PSU brand new or used?
Could it have been bundled together with wrong cables?

Why did you decide to upgrade psu?
Is your system working with old psu?
I wanted to upgrade the psu for future upgrades I will be getting a new gpu soon but i’m pretty sure it is brand new from amazon warehouse, I have been told they are universal but the shapes are way different where as my old shit psu fits perfect but I shouldn't use it as it is cheap, older only 600 watts and bronze.

Jun 27, 2024
I upgraded my PSU, everything powers on until I connect my PCI-e cable to GPU it clicks then nothing when I power it on. The cable fits but shapes do look different, online it tells me these are compatible.

The cables are the correct way round as there can only be one way to put them into the PSU.

Where can I find the right cable?

GPU- 2060 Super Gigabyte Windforce OC I believe it is rev1.0/1.1 not 100% sure will check later.
PSU- UD850GM
I think I will just send back the PSU try my luck with another if it fails I’ll have to get another GPU and try assemble my older parts back together for sale.