Issue installing graphics card.

Feb 26, 2018
This is my first time installing a new graphics card. My motherboard is an MSI 760gm-p34 (fx). My current graphics card I'm trying to replace is a PNY GeForce GT 730. My new Graphics card is a GeForce GTX-750 TI. I have two questions. My first one is do not all motherboard have clips to detach the graphics card from the motherboard? Ive looked everywhere and there isn't one. My second one is that I dont have the plug that goes from my power supply to my GeForce GTX-750 TI. Do I need that? My other graphics card didn't even have that. If I do need it then how do I fix this?

Thanks!

Solution
yes there is usually a clip that retains the gpu its on the MB pcie slot usually part of the plastic surround. sounds like yours has been busted off. not the end of the world as it is not actually providing any support. if your new GPU needs a 6 or 8 pin and your psu doent have those cables. the solution would be to get a new power supply. good news is that that isnt difficult to do
yes there is usually a clip that retains the gpu its on the MB pcie slot usually part of the plastic surround. sounds like yours has been busted off. not the end of the world as it is not actually providing any support. if your new GPU needs a 6 or 8 pin and your psu doent have those cables. the solution would be to get a new power supply. good news is that that isnt difficult to do

Solution
The PCIe x16 (long slot) retaining tab would be on the right side if you had it. You can't miss it. I have one broken off an older system when I used to swap GPUs with it regularly. Just make sure it's screwed in to the case bracket good and you'll be fine. Regarding no power connectors, the GTX 750 Ti is low powered enough it can run off the power of the PCIe slot (75W max) so no external power connector is needed .

Feb 26, 2018

Wait do you're saying I don't need the 6 pin and can just put the GTX 750 Ti in anyway?

Most do not require it. Especially the single fan models. What is the *exact* model of it? I miss-read your original post. Are you saying you HAVE a 6-pin power connector port on the card?

Feb 26, 2018

its a EVGA GeForce GTX 750 TI and it has 6 pin.

Still not the exact model number (should be on a sticker likely on the top of the circuit board). The number will look something like 01G-P4-2753-KR. But if you can't find it, if the card has two fans and is a factory overclocked one then it will need that power connector.

You can by a 4-pin Molex to PCIe 6-pin adapter and plug the Molex (opaque white flat 4-pin connector) to a free one from your power supply cables and then the other end of course goes into your video card. Most cards come with one in the box. Here's an example of one:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAZM45N7952&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Cables+-+Power+Extension+Cords-_-9SIAAZM45N7952&gclid=CjwKCAjw2dvWBRBvEiwADllhn8tZ1PhqNOtxQawZYy4W9pQ5rpWVuBPoEWdQlPRSxiB132c0Z30IcRoCMlYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Normally this is not recommended but your video card doesn't draw much power so no problem.

Feb 26, 2018

oh sorry its 02G-P4-3757-KR. I misread what you asked. I would like to try and not buy a new power supply if I don't have to. Just one less thing to do.

Oh that's FTW edition with two fans and overclocked. Yep, you'll need that connector. It runs over 100W in power consumption. The single fan non-overclocked reference 750 Ti's ran around 60W. You can probably overclock it a little more to squeeze some more power out of it. Have fun!