Question Issue when refreshing Windows 10

AcePotato

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2014
Hello all,

So for whatever reason I decided to refresh my system the other day using the option to keep my files in the settings.
My PC started the process fine but at about 68% through, the system paused, black screened and rebooted. It then booted up with a BSOD stating it ran into a problem and needs to restart.
It then goes to an automatic repair screen, tries to repair but fails, then comes up with an option for advanced settings. I have tried pretty much every option on this screen, none of them fix the issue.
Is there anything I can do to fix this or is it best to try and reinstall windows altogether and just loose whatever files I had on my PC before.

Huge thanks in advance to anyone that can help me with this,
Liam

Hello all,

So for whatever reason I decided to refresh my system the other day using the option to keep my files in the settings.
My PC started the process fine but at about 68% through, the system paused, black screened and rebooted. It then booted up with a BSOD stating it ran into a problem and needs to restart.
It then goes to an automatic repair screen, tries to repair but fails, then comes up with an option for advanced settings. I have tried pretty much every option on this screen, none of them fix the issue.
Is there anything I can do to fix this or is it best to try and reinstall windows altogether and just loose whatever files I had on my PC before.

Liam
How important are these files?

If not very then reinstall windows.

If very perhaps remove the disk and install a new disk.
Install windows to the new disk.
Then you can try to recover the files from the orig disk.

more than likely your OS is corrupted now since it failed during the refresh process.
it will be pretty easy to just reinstall fresh.

if you have files on the OS disk that you want to try and recover you can install Windows onto another disk and try browsing through the current disk afterwards.

Hello all,

Liam
Its quickest to download a linux distro and mount it on a usb stick. Then you can boot it and copy your files off your existing disk. It is unfortunate that your trusted windows' refresh option and it killed your installation. In the future you may want to consider a backup strategy where you use a program like Macrium to periodically image your disk onto external media for times when you want to return your computer to an earlier state. Let us know it you need any help with all of this.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Hello all,

Liam
You can also try to create a bootable Windows 10 USB drive and choose the option to repair the system, rather than do a fresh install when booting from it.