[SOLVED] Issue while installing Ryzen 5 5600x

prestonschenkel

Commendable
Oct 31, 2018
Hello all. I recently purchased a ryzen 5 5600x as an upgrade from a ryzen 5 2600.

I stupidly installed the 5600 without updating the BIOS on my asus B450-F. I realized I needed to update and reinstalled the 2600. Now I can’t boot my PC. Everything powers on but the display will not turn on. My RTX 2070 fans start running very fast upon boot up as well.

I tried to reset BIOS but I don’t think I’m doing it properly. The instructions are a bit unclear to me. I still haven’t had any luck booting my pc with the old hardware which was working fine before attempting to install the 5600. Any tips and help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Solution
Typically there are going to be a couple of pins to short on the motherboard to clear CMOS. Some boards have a button somewhere (often on the back panel) that will do so. Old school for sure way is to unplug from the wall, drain by holding power button for a moment, open and remove CMOS battery and just let it sit for a while. Re-install and check.

Make sure that all connectors, RAM, expansion (PCI) devices are plugged in properly. Be sure to have the display cable plugged to the GPU.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
When you say you tried to reset BIOS, do you mean CMOS?

If you attempted to change the BIOS and it failed it could be an issue with the chip which typically results in a motherboard sans dual BIOS to be bricked.

CMOS on the other hand should be cleared and try to boot on old setup .

prestonschenkel

Commendable
Oct 31, 2018
When you say you tried to reset BIOS, do you mean CMOS?

If you attempted to change the BIOS and it failed it could be an issue with the chip which typically results in a motherboard sans dual BIOS to be bricked.

CMOS on the other hand should be cleared and try to boot on old setup .
You are correct, I tried to clear/reset CMOS.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Typically there are going to be a couple of pins to short on the motherboard to clear CMOS. Some boards have a button somewhere (often on the back panel) that will do so. Old school for sure way is to unplug from the wall, drain by holding power button for a moment, open and remove CMOS battery and just let it sit for a while. Re-install and check.

Make sure that all connectors, RAM, expansion (PCI) devices are plugged in properly. Be sure to have the display cable plugged to the GPU.

Solution

prestonschenkel

Commendable
Oct 31, 2018

I tried to short the jumper pins and removed the CMOS battery for over 10 minutes. I put it all back together after checking connections and I still can’t get the screen to boot on with the old CPU installed. I’m so stumped.

Oct 14, 2021
Hello I am having the same issue I didnt update bios . install a Ryzen 5 5600x now in a boot loop with no way to get into bios... I tried putting my Ryzen 3 3200g in took out my Nvidia 3060 Ti I am getting the same loop with both.. It worked b4 I tried to install the 5600x. Its clearly a bios issue.... I am going to try the battery trick gonna leave it out for 30 mins... Then I am gonna try to cmos.... I have an asrock b450m pro4f if I make a flash bios is there a special way to label that file..... If I get it fixed i will let you know what I had to do.. If you solve the issue can you please make a post

Oct 14, 2021
Hello I am having the same issue I didnt update bios . install a Ryzen 5 5600x now in a boot loop with no way to get into bios... I tried putting my Ryzen 3 3200g in took out my Nvidia 3060 Ti I am getting the same loop with both.. It worked b4 I tried to install the 5600x. Its clearly a bios issue.... I am going to try the battery trick gonna leave it out for 30 mins... Then I am gonna try to cmos.... I have an asrock b450m pro4f if I make a flash bios is there a special way to label that file..... If I get it fixed i will let you know what I had to do.. If you solve the issue can you please make a post
Also my keyboard and ram light up there are no lights on the mobo indicating something wrong. And my CPU is heating up. I dont know if that helps.

prestonschenkel

Commendable
Oct 31, 2018
Also my keyboard and ram light up there are no lights on the mobo indicating something wrong. And my CPU is heating up. I dont know if that helps.
I should have updated this thread, but i did finally get it to work. I removed the CPU from the mother board. I also removed the graphics card so i could remove the battery on the motherboard. I left it off for about 20 minutes. Afterwards, i reinstalled the GPU and the old 2600 CPU. It finally booted up so i could download new BIOS online. I launched, updated BIOS with a USB stick, reinstalled the 5600, and BOOM...it worked. I had tried the battery trick once before it actually worked. I'd recommend taking it out of the motherboard for longer than 5-10 minutes just to be sure everything resets.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

TRENDING THREADS