[SOLVED] Issue with a very annoying CPU fan

jaredddbrown

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
So I recently finally managed to assemble my new computer. Every part is brand new except for the powersupply which has no issues. This includes a new CPU fan as I guess Intel no longer includes stock fans with their CPU's anymore? Anyways, the gist of this all is that the CPU fan has been having problems with its RPM going to basically max speed when the CPU temp and load is fine.

For reference, here are my current specs:

CPU: Intel i7-10700K
CPU Fan: Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition (uses a 4 pin motherboard connection, not a 3 pin)
Motherboard: MSI 7590-A PRO
Video Card: GIGABYTE Vision GeForce RTX 3060
Memory: 32GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2133MHz

I thought I had originally fixed this problem. I had had this problem when I had first put the computer together and I THOUGHT I had fixed it by going into my BIOs and noticing that the motherboard had defined my CPU's fan as a Water-Cooled one with a much higher RPM, so I switched it back to a basic CPU fan and it seemed to work after that. Until last night. I've tried setting up a max RPM curve in my BIOs setting but it isn't working. Speedfan doesn't detect my CPU fan so I can't adjust it through that. And I'm 100% sure it's the CPU fan as I've disconnected it, booted up the computer, played some video games to test it, and no noise whatsoever. And also the case is completely clean with no dust

I'm not really sure what to do at this point. It doesn't seem like BIOs is actually obeying the settings I set it to and no post-boot Application is able to adjust my CPU fan speed. Oh, and of course, I made sure those BIO settings were saved before exiting.

Does anyone have any recommendations at this point? Could it be the CPU Fan I bought is just... bad? It was sort of an impulse buy as when I noticed my brand-new Intel CPU did not come with an actual CPU fan, I rushed over to BestBuy and just grabbed whatever they had.

Solution
Wait, the Newegg page says my CPU is a 125 watt CPU. This is the one I have: https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i7-10700k-core-i7-10th-gen/p/N82E16819118123?Item=N82E16819118123
That is very deceiving Intel rates the power draw from the base speed not the turbo speed.

10TH GEN PROCESSORPL1 POWER (W)PL2 POWER (W)TAU (SECONDS)
Core i9-10900K12525056
Core i7-10700K12522956

So you did not download OCCT and run the stress test and check your temps. The stock...
So I recently finally managed to assemble my new computer. Every part is brand new except for the powersupply which has no issues. This includes a new CPU fan as I guess Intel no longer includes stock fans with their CPU's anymore? Anyways, the gist of this all is that the CPU fan has been having problems with its RPM going to basically max speed when the CPU temp and load is fine.

For reference, here are my current specs:

CPU: Intel i7-10700K
CPU Fan: Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition (uses a 4 pin motherboard connection, not a 3 pin)
Motherboard: MSI 7590-A PRO
Video Card: GIGABYTE Vision GeForce RTX 3060
Memory: 32GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2133MHz

I thought I had originally fixed this problem. I had had this problem when I had first put the computer together and I THOUGHT I had fixed it by going into my BIOs and noticing that the motherboard had defined my CPU's fan as a Water-Cooled one with a much higher RPM, so I switched it back to a basic CPU fan and it seemed to work after that. Until last night. I've tried setting up a max RPM curve in my BIOs setting but it isn't working. Speedfan doesn't detect my CPU fan so I can't adjust it through that. And I'm 100% sure it's the CPU fan as I've disconnected it, booted up the computer, played some video games to test it, and no noise whatsoever. And also the case is completely clean with no dust

I'm not really sure what to do at this point. It doesn't seem like BIOs is actually obeying the settings I set it to and no post-boot Application is able to adjust my CPU fan speed. Oh, and of course, I made sure those BIO settings were saved before exiting.

Does anyone have any recommendations at this point? Could it be the CPU Fan I bought is just... bad? It was sort of an impulse buy as when I noticed my brand-new Intel CPU did not come with an actual CPU fan, I rushed over to BestBuy and just grabbed whatever they had.
Do you have it plugged into the CPU_FAN1 header? If so you should be able to adjust the fan speed in BIOS > HARDWARE MONITOR

It is best not to use your PC with the CPU fan unplugged as it will cause very high temperatures.

jaredddbrown

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
Do you have it plugged into the CPU_FAN1 header? If so you should be able to adjust the fan speed in BIOS > HARDWARE MONITOR

It is best not to use your PC with the CPU fan unplugged as it will cause very high temperatures.

Yes it was plugged into the CPU fan header on my motherboard. And I plugged it back in after testing of course as I didn't want to mess anything up.

I did go into my motherboards BIO's and try to change the settings but I couldn't seem to change the speed for the CPU fan. I set all the fans connected to my motherboard to max RPM and I couldn't seem to get the CPU's RPM up to anywhere near what it's been getting up to after the computer boots

Yes it was plugged into the CPU fan header on my motherboard. And I plugged it back in after testing of course as I didn't want to mess anything up.

I did go into my motherboards BIO's and try to change the settings but I couldn't seem to change the speed for the CPU fan. I set all the fans connected to my motherboard to max RPM and I couldn't seem to get the CPU's RPM up to anywhere near what it's been getting up to after the computer boots
You could try using MSI center software I think it lets you control the fan rpm

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

You need a lot better cooler for that processor their no way a hyper 212 can cool that processor.

jaredddbrown

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
You need a lot better cooler for that processor their no way a hyper 212 can cool that processor.

I mean, I haven't had any temp issues thus far. The CPU Fan I got says it can get up to 2000RPM. Again, this fanspeed thing will start the instant I boot up any kind of application on my computer, even if my CPU temp is only at 36C

jaredddbrown

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Then what would you recommend?
That processor draws around 200 watts when PL2 power state is started. Your cooler is about a 150 watt cooler.

Every time the PL2 kicks in your cooler is going to go craze.

Download and run OCCT without changing OCCT settings this is just a mild stress test and look at your temps.

If you wish I can tell you the settings for it to run a real stress test.

jaredddbrown

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
That processor draws around 200 watts when PL2 power state is started. Your cooler is about a 150 watt cooler.

Every time the PL2 kicks in your cooler is going to go craze.

Download and run OCCT without changing OCCT settings this is just a mild stress test and look at your temps.

If you wish I can tell you the settings for it to run a real stress test.

Wait, the Newegg page says my CPU is a 125 watt CPU. This is the one I have: https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i7-10700k-core-i7-10th-gen/p/N82E16819118123?Item=N82E16819118123

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
That is very deceiving Intel rates the power draw from the base speed not the turbo speed.

Core i9-10900K12525056
Core i7-10700K12522956

So you did not download OCCT and run the stress test and check your temps. The stock setting are not even a real stress test.

Basically every time you start something it triggers the PL2 power draw (anything half way demanding)

Using the real settings to stress test using OCCT my 10600K draws in the 148 watt area fairly steady.

Last edited:
Solution

jaredddbrown

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017

Core i9-10900K12525056
Core i7-10700K12522956

So you did not download OCCT and run the stress test and check your temps. The stock setting are not even a real stress test.

Basically every time you start something it triggers the PL2 power draw (anything half way demanding)

Using the real settings to stress test using OCCT my 10600K draws in the 148 watt area fairly steady.

So what kind of cooler would you recommend then?